A&H

Lovely question for you all!

Your answer?

• Total voters

Josh

Level 4 Referee
At a dropped ball, after the ball has touched the ground but before being touched by any player, a defender inside his own penalty area spits at an opponent inside the penalty arc. What decision should the referee make?

A ) The referee sends off the defender and has the dropped ball retaken

B ) The referee sends off the defender and awards a penalty kick to the opposing team.

C ) The referee sends off the defender and awards a direct free kick to the opposing team from where the opponent was.

D ) The referee sends off the defender and awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team from where the player was inside the penalty arc.

The Referee Store
DFK where the opponent is. Same as when a shoe (or something) is thrown. It's where the contact is made, not where it initiated.

If the spit happens before the ball strikes the ground, then sending off, and re-take the dropped ball.

It's C. It used to be B - For spitting, the offence used to be where the person committing the act was standing, but that was changed to make it consistent with other fouls.
The ball is in play as soon as it touches the ground.

It's C. It used to be B - For spitting, the offence used to be where the person committing the act was standing, but that was changed to make it consistent with other fouls.
The ball is in play as soon as it touches the ground.

I cant see anything mentioned in LOTG. Got a page ref or quote? Im probably being blind (as per, cause im a ref ;) ) but if there is one id love to have it.

I know the 'B' interpretation was in the old Q&Q, back in 2006. I read on the other forum that the location had changed, but I don't have a reference for you, sorry.

The answer is C.

Ball is in play
Play restarts when the ball touches the ground.
Pg 32

The restart is the same as throwing an object.
Restart of play
• If a player standing inside his own penalty area throws an object at an opponent standing outside the penalty area, the referee restarts play with a direct free kick to the opponents’ team from the position where the object struck or would have struck the opponent
Pg 131

Reminds me of "YATR" scenarios, Next one,
"An IDFK is taken by the defence inside their own penalty area, the ball is kicked and leaves the PA it then bursts and the propulsion of the air pushes it back towards the goal, on its way back a striker heads it but he was stood just behind the goal line off the field of play with a defender and the goal keeper. Then the ball goes towards the defenders goal where an 8 year old boy enters the field of play and handles the ball on the goal line to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity, but the boy isn't a named substitute. The ball then goes out of play and an attacker who is on the FOP strikes an opponent with excessive force who is off the field of play."

What should the referee do??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Just been tutoring on a referee course this weekend and stressing how important it is to know from every type of restart when the ball is 'in play' e.g. from a corner kick it is 'when it is kicked and moves' from a dropped ball it is when the ball touches the ground. From a goal kick it is when the ball leaves the penalty area and from a throw in it is when it 'enters the field of play'. This helps in deciding whether it is a retake or an IDFK to the opposition but also for being able to adjudicate on fouls and misconduct.

Personally I would like to rewrite the whole LOTG bringing some consistent phraseology to some parts of it but it is almost there. I had a good question on the course about why, if you can score directly from a kick off, can't you score an own goal? Firstly there is no restart where you can score an own goal but specifically from a kick off the ball is not in play until it is kicked and moves forward. Hence it cannot be in play if kicked backwards.

It is so important for all referees to know the detail of the LoTG - I am amzed at how many times I still go - 'Er I'll just check the book!'

on the second scenario you missed the bit about the Space Shuttle Challenger landing in the centre circle . . . . . . .

Back