A&H

Maidenhead v Rotherham - Manager's comments!

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Alan Devonshire on this red card challenge (1' 10")

"Haven't seen it back yet but the lads tell me our fella got the ball and didn't make any contact with their player. Ref couldn't wait to get his card out. We will be appealing"

Now even in the very crowded ridiculous comments by a manager league table this one surely has to be up there with the very very best/worst

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50290348

The Referee Store
Alan Devonshire on this red card challenge (1' 10")

"Haven't seen it back yet but the lads tell me our fella got the ball and didn't make any contact with their player. Ref couldn't wait to get his card out. We will be appealing"

Now even in the very crowded ridiculous comments by a manager league table this one surely has to be up there with the very very best/worst

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50290348
Good luck with the appeal! Maybe they can change the colour of the GK jersey while they're at it

Thanks for your observations Mr Devonshire. Take a break from the dugout for a couple of games while you’re at it

Assuming this being the standard 3 games for SFP, there must be a danger (assuming appeal goes ahead) that it goes to 4 after being deemed frivolous.

Amazingly/predictably the 'experts' in the studio including Dion Dublin thought it was a little harsh!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do enjoy the old "haven't seen it but..." line.

Similar to the player arguing about a foul that "never happened" then pointing out to the ref where the FK should be taken from.

As stupid as the managers comments are (and that hella stupid), I'm struggling to red card for this.
No sympathy for the idiot though, he gave the ref a decision to make

As stupid as the managers comments are (and that hella stupid), I'm struggling to red card for this.
No sympathy for the idiot though, he gave the ref a decision to make

Eh? That's a blatant red card, I can't even seen any debate about it.

Eh? That's a blatant red card, I can't even seen any debate about it.

Perhaps I've not seen something.
Just seems like a standard slide in trip up player caution to me.
The force of the tackle is heavy certainly and I won't lose any sleep for the dirty sod but I just think they are given YC 90% of the time.
Like I say, I may be missing something here.

Perhaps I've not seen something.
Just seems like a standard slide in trip up player caution to me.
The force of the tackle is heavy certainly and I won't lose any sleep for the dirty sod but I just think they are given YC 90% of the time.
Like I say, I may be missing something here.
Seriously? It’s a lunge not a slide and his foot that has caught the player is very high.

I'd hate to see what your threshold for a red is.

Seriously? It’s a lunge not a slide and his foot that has caught the player is very high.

I'd hate to see what your threshold for a red is.

It's in no way a lunge into the player. The lunge is in front of the player, perpendicular to the direction of the player. Player lands long before contact is made.
The contact is shin height, he's not caught him studs first. He's prob caught him with his own calf. Again, something we see get a caution usually

If you've anything else you'd like to simply make up to justify your initial decison I'd like to hear it...

You'd have been better of just saying the sheer force of the tackle was excessive. Although I'd call it harsh, it'sthe only reason to reach for anything more than a YC here

1574700933312.png

Freeze frame doesn’t tell the whole story.

It goes without saying on my side that I’d view this as excessive force, specifically based on the way he’s gone in.
I’d be struggling to find any justification to give a yellow for that and suspect that any observer would rip me apart if I did only caution for that.

Freeze frame doesn’t tell the whole story.

It goes without saying on my side that I’d view this as excessive force, specifically based on the way he’s gone in.
I’d be struggling to find any justification to give a yellow for that and suspect that any observer would rip me apart if I did only caution for that.

Yes, this observer would. That is a red card without any doubt.

It's in no way a lunge into the player. The lunge is in front of the player, perpendicular to the direction of the player. Player lands long before contact is made.
The contact is shin height, he's not caught him studs first. He's prob caught him with his own calf. Again, something we see get a caution usually

If you've anything else you'd like to simply make up to justify your initial decison I'd like to hear it...

You'd have been better of just saying the sheer force of the tackle was excessive. Although I'd call it harsh, it'sthe only reason to reach for anything more than a YC here

View attachment 3890
A still picture has absolutely no use in this discussion.

Back