A&H

Man of the match

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
Interesting one - just got a text from one of the teams I refereed today - asking who I thought their man of the match was. First response was "ummm not for me to decide", then they said it's a thing they do every week for year end awards, they ask the ref who their MOTM was...that's a first. I gave him a player (scored the winner). I guess I don't see anything wrong with it but just the first time I've been asked. Anyone else had this happen?

The Referee Store
Our association has this as a rule for their top two OA league. Have to fill a form with the top three players given one, two and three points. You don't do it, you wont get appointed to the top leagues.

Done it loads of times... very common around these parts, especially on a Sunday....

I remember one lad who was fantastic, he got it most weeks including off me... Well. I was summoned into their changing room with the last match of the season MOM trophy to announce the winner, he was already stood on the bench in his boxers awaiting his trophy.... so as a laugh, I gave a short speech making out about this fantastic performance and consistent player and walked towards him only to turn at the last second and give it to a very characteristic mediocre substitute who'd played about 2 minutes.... There was a massive laugh in the changing room as he'd won it by a mile...Just a c0cky sh1t!!!

Our association has this as a rule for their top two OA league. Have to fill a form with the top three players given one, two and three points. You don't do it, you wont get appointed to the top leagues.

I think I'd just make it up ..! Enough for a referee to concentrate on in a game without having to notice who has been the best players. I've no problem if a team ask me on a one off basis, but I think being required to do it as league paperwork is taking it a bit too far.

I've done it a few times, more often at youth team level than OA.

Helps if the manager asks you at the start of the game. Not sure I'd be able to remember who's who though if they contacted me after the game.

Possibly a way to help with dissent? No matter how many goals, how influential and how tricky a player is, if he's been a gobby git he's unlikely to get the ref's vote!

Last edited:
Whats the problem in helping out with something so simple, doesn't really mean anything unless they are collating them for a trophy come the end of the season! Nice to put a smile on at least one players face, good chance to p1ss off that gobby one too as RJ said!!!

think @JamesL had his tongue firmly in his cheek. this is the first time I was asked but I don't really mind - though definitely not keen, @one, to have to do it as a matter of mandatory admin...yeesh.

Whats the problem in helping out with something so simple, doesn't really mean anything unless they are collating them for a trophy come the end of the season! Nice to put a smile on at least one players face, good chance to p1ss off that gobby one too as RJ said!!!
Nothing wrong with helping out at all. Read post back and decide if serious ;)

This is preposterous! A referee can't decide who man of the match is. We don't know anything about football. And besides we've never played the game before.
Well at least thats what they tell us.
At last a bit of common sense Jamie!! :angel: :)

We started this last season. Most of us weren't happy with the extra responsibility but after a few rounds realised it wasn't as bad as we thought.

The form is on line and takes a couple of minutes to do on a smart phone after the game.

90% of the players end up being the goal scorers, keeper's, captains or their main playmaker. We know most of these guys as we have refreed the years. And if we weren't sure we just made it up.

I do one league where you enter MOTD match on teamline
In no way is it s hardship but I would rather it was not there.
The worst is indeed when you are coming off a kids game though and the coach asks you, my answer is usually......you decide and just say it was me.

Give it to the little fat kid that’s just stood with his hands in his pockets... Star strikers hate not being the centre of attention......

Back