A&H

managers helping with offside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan todd

Level 7 Referee
so i've been officiating for coming on 3 years now and i have always wondered if i should get the managers to call offside, i've always been one for doing it my self but as you start officiating older teams it gets harder on your own, just like to know peoples opinions on this

The Referee Store
so i've been officiating for coming on 3 years now and i have always wondered if i should get the managers to call offside, i've always been one for doing it my self but as you start officiating older teams it gets harder on your own, just like to know peoples opinions on this

Managers or substitutes/substituted players. (Otherwise known as Club Assistant Referees - CARs) Some do some don't.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/club-assistants-advice-please.7131/

;)

I'd say, what's normally done in your area?

Even if they're doing it, you still need to be in a good position anyway - you understand offside better than they do, and that's even assuming they've vaguely competent or honest (most are).
Positioning is about playing the odds - you're always in a good position for one thing, but a bad one for others. What you need to figure out is what's more likely to happen weighed against what's more likely to have a bigger impact upon the match, and what position do you need to, on average, have the best chance of spotting something. Sometimes that decision needs to be putting yourself in a position to spot a less likely but more significant thing versus a more likely but less significant thing. Sometimes wildly unconventional positioning can be the best positioning.

Even with CAR's calling offside, I still like to be on the offside line for a ceremonial free kick. Sure, it means I'm in a poorer position for some fouls, but offside decisions are more likely, just as significant and tricky to call. Same with corner kicks - without NAR's, I prefer to stand just off the goal line. Great position for some things, but I acknowledge it pulls me out of position for others. But I'm happy with that balance.

I'm talking about positioning because whether you have NAR's, CAR's calling offside, or no AR's at all, it's going to affect how you position yourself.

Do what everyone else in your area does. Follow local custom and practice. Do not do anything else, otherwise you become an anomaly and present a problem for next week's referee.

Reactions: SM
Sorry, but why are we having this discussion AGAIN in another thread?!
The link to the alternative thread is posted above, this one is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back