A&H

Manager's Influence on Disrespect from Players

Steve C

The Unfit one!
So, this is 'what really grinds my gears' (Thank you Peter Griffin) the most while refereeing. A tackle goes in and in your opinion its a definite 100% foul so you give it, few growns from parents and the manager will say to the player penalised 'dont worry it wasnt a foul mate', but they say it so loud so that you hear it but not so loud that it makes it look like you arent meant to hear it. The player will then start to moan at you for it and therefore future decisions, what action can you take here? I never say anything as i dont want to bite the bait.

The Referee Store
I think imo the manager is disrespectful to you by questioning your decision indirectly. It will be good if you go over to him and ask him to stop. I think a player who has the support of his manager will always be disrespectful to the referee.

I have seen this go the other way. Parents claiming all sorts from the sideline and players apologising for their behaviour and shouting for them to shut up. :). That was funny.

As for how to handle it. It is dissent at the end of the day; They cross the line, caution for it. if they are flirting with the line a withering Collina stare style look and a warning (as you feel necessary). It's nonsense at the end of the day, don't put up with it.

Parents fault or not, it is the player who earns the card(s)

If the parents cross the line, inform the relevant manager/team official that the person has to leave. When they say "oh can't do that ref!" Blah blah 100 excuses later a nice clear "they leave or I do" always does the trick. Don't be afraid to walk away either, no team wants the threat of having to explain to Cfa why they refused to help a referee manage poor supporter/parent behaviour. Nice and polite.

'They leave or I do'. Last week's referee!

Get their name, from the manager, put them in the misconduct report and let county deal with it. Abandoning a game, if you follow through on your threat, because of one stroppy parent is akin to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, imho

Names of spectators? Good luck with that!

Last weeks ref? Lol. Funny mate.

you still report them, you don't need names.

Don't think that's last weeks ref at all. Its a very useful way of removing the issue. It's next weeks ref not doing the same, that's the problem. Blame next weeks ref. Give LWR a break ;)

I never say anything as i dont want to bite the bait.
I think that this is probably the best way to deal with the situation, depending on what is actually being said and by whom. If it is a spectator/parent doing the moaning I usually find it more humourous than offensive. Manager/coach on the other hand, i'd ignore it until they were really starting to give me a hard time. I understand it's more likely to be frustration at the game (and their lack of understanding of the LOTG) rather than my officiating itself. If you do decide they are crossing the line, I think half-time is a good opportunity to voice such a concern: no need to make a big deal out of it.

Abandoning a game... because of one stroppy parent is akin to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, imho
Well said. Unless you find their frustrated cries offensive or threatening, I don't think there is really a need to abandon the game. I would only do such if I felt personally attacked or threatened.

I'd say a thick skin is the best remedy to these situations.

I've only "sent away" spectators once in 12 years of Youth Football refereeing and that was for inciting violence, very loudly.

It was u16s and , yes most are big enough to take care of themselves at that age, but I wasn't having adults telling "children" to harm other "children" shouted at a level that most could hear - it was, for a youth match, well attended if I remember correctly.

Shouts about decisions, I ignore, if I think its having an effect on behaviour of the players , I might tell one or two (players) close to me to ignore "the crowd"!

I was very clear "if they cross the line" :rolleyes: never needed to send anyone away once they have been warned via team manager.

Also, Last weeks ref allows spectators to do whatever they like without intervention.

Back