A&H

Manchester City v PSG

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Feels odd to not be complaining about decisions after a UCL knockout game, but it could have been very different. I'm not sure what Bjorn Kuipers saw for the Zinchenko penalty decision (0.15 in the video), but for all of the justified hatred for VAR, it did exactly what it was designed for and meant that a decision didn't have an impact on the tie.

Thought Kuipers did well to keep his head when PSG completely lost theirs after going 2-0 down and think he got the Di Maria red right. Interested to hear what people think of the Kimpembe yellow (7.40 in the video)? I think there's an argument for SFP there as he's nowhere near the ball and I would argue that it's excessive force.

In the interests of balance, I have to say it was quite an achievement for Fernandinho to avoid being booked! :hmmm:

The Referee Store
For the penalty t the appeals were so strong from PSG that you'd think it was a nailed on penalty. Perhaps that influenced the ref?

For the penalty t the appeals were so strong from PSG that you'd think it was a nailed on penalty. Perhaps that influenced the ref?
Having been taken in twice by PSG claims, he seemed less inclined to give them FKs for falling over.

I think that the Kimpembe challenge was an orange card and for the sake of the game he chose yellow. The commentators were right when they said the Fernandinho was clever, as he waits for the player to turn or slow before committing the foul so its harder to sell a SPA yellow. But I thought Bjorn Kuipers really showed why he was one of the top refs in the world by keeping a lid on it all.

i was OK with yellow, the one 5 mins after that was more of a scissor challenge was worse and not included in the highlights! veratti could also have gone for a 2nd yellow 30 seconds after his first

Ref doing his level best to keep the Superstars on the FOP. The culture being that the R is seen as a failure if too many are sent packing
And the Safe Refereeing is at scourge level now. These are complex issues that mar the pinnacle of the game

Really feel the assistant gave the PK here, didn't look a handball in real time.
PSG lucky to finish with 10. Both Danilo and Kimpembe could (should?) have been off. Kimpembe really with excessive force, but okay. The two of them are incredibly orange cards.
Thought VAR was excellent and the game was enjoyable. Kuipers never gives in to the biggest stars and I'm hoping he'll get the final this summer

Maybe the ref thought speaking to them in their own language would make them understand better?

Ref doing his level best to keep the Superstars on the FOP. The culture being that the R is seen as a failure if too many are sent packing
And the Safe Refereeing is at scourge level now. These are complex issues that mar the pinnacle of the game

Yes but the game is over, PSG has lost their heads again, you can slightly understand it on a human level as they are getting knocked out of the biggest club tornament at the semi final stage so maybe the ref had this in mind? That said, Kimpembe tackle is rash and reckless but not dangerous so yellow seemed the right decision to me.

And yes VAR saved the ref from a shocker of a decision though. But people will still want it scrapped!

If it was only ever used for the shocker (which happens very occasionally of course) there would be a fraction of the calls for it to be scrapped.

given the criteria for use of VAR is for clear and obvious errors, that SHOULD limit its use to a fraction of the calls it's used for currently

Yeah, in what universe to soccer players get 4-10 game suspensions for saying that to a ref???

Exactly. Watch any lowlight of Wayne Rooney saying this to a referee or assistant referee with absolutely no sanction whatsoever.

Simply put, if players aren't going to be sent off for OFFINABUS for telling officials this, I have absolutely zero sympathy if an official gives it right back (even though, in a vacuum, I don't condone it).

I've said before, I have no hesitation in giving back with interest to players who are having a go at me, something that I've probably done more than I should do as I got older and more confident. Generally I find that the players are OK with it and it actually calms things down, but it is obviously a risk and can and has aggravated them on occasions. What I would never do though is swear directly at them and say things like f off or f you, as that is just dragging yourself down to their level. I find it hard to believe that one of the best referees in the World would do that, and smacks very much of sour grapes to me.

I've said before, I have no hesitation in giving back with interest to players who are having a go at me, something that I've probably done more than I should do as I got older and more confident. Generally I find that the players are OK with it and it actually calms things down, but it is obviously a risk and can and has aggravated them on occasions. What I would never do though is swear directly at them and say things like f off or f you, as that is just dragging yourself down to their level. I find it hard to believe that one of the best referees in the World would do that, and smacks very much of sour grapes to me.

Aside to newer refs: This is likely not a strategy that will work for you until you develop the gravitas of experience.

Back