A&H

Manu Bton offside goal

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Can’t find a vid but this was really interesting for the officials…

BE57B5F4-0384-489E-96FB-8B6DF2AC935E.jpeg

The ball comes off the attacker’s arm, then Maguire (closest to goal) challenges and the GK hits the ball against defender and it ricochets in for an own goal.

The handball (by Dalot ? Jumping) is accidental so not an offence as he did not score himself. Though this does raise a little hole in the laws - is it an offence if an accidental handball is “saved” by a def/GK but the ball still goes in… hmm… edge case…

And then the offside. Maguire challenged do it must be an offside offence. It would be good to see the still when the ball is played to check the timing and position. Brighton fans are convinced this was missed by VAR and was a vintage “Trafford decision”… you?

The Referee Store
1.20. Not a handball, ball brushed off the back of his shoulder but looks like Maguire was offside from that angle and challenging for the ball so active offside.

No HB because Own Goal
Possibly Offside. Might have expected a 5 minute Committee Meeting @Stockley

Last edited:
i'm happy with a goal here (as happy as i can be with any united goal...) no handball for me and although maguire is off, i dont think he actually really interferes (the defenders / keeper will still dive to clear as they did)

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 17.51.41.png

• challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Really, none of these @Big Cat not even the last ?

Tough on the defenders - if they don't touch it, it's no goal because of the accidental handball. If they weren't so quick, maybe Maguire plays the ball and is clearly interfering with play.

Tough on the defenders - if they don't touch it, it's no goal because of the accidental handball. If they weren't so quick, maybe Maguire plays the ball and is clearly interfering with play.

i think you're spot on with this, just a quirk of the law...a bit like when an attacker in an offside position might get fouled for a pen before he becomes active therefore the pen is awarded

View attachment 5816

• challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Really, none of these @Big Cat not even the last ?

Well, for me Maguire doesn't do anything that actually and clearly impacts on the ability of the opponents to play the ball so I don't see an offence under that last category. I think the closest to describing the situation is the "challenging an opponent for the ball" clause but even on that one, although he does move towards the ball, I don't reckon he gets close enough to the opponent to really consider it a challenge.

It's a fairly close and fairly tricky one but in the final analysis, I can accept it as being a goal.

Well, for me Maguire doesn't do anything that actually and clearly impacts on the ability of the opponents to play the ball so I don't see an offence under that last category. I think the closest to describing the situation is the "challenging an opponent for the ball" clause but even on that one, although he does move towards the ball, I don't reckon he gets close enough to the opponent to really consider it a challenge.

It's a fairly close and fairly tricky one but in the final analysis, I can accept it as being a goal.
Watching the highlights vid, I am not sure that Maguire was in an offside position - although the goalkeeper had moved
forward thre were two defenders in shot, one behind the goal line and one other the 12.

Interesting one. I wonder… football has changed… in a way I would be happy for VAR to allow the goal - if the reasoning is sound.

Ten yards out it’s an easy call that Maguire is interfering IMHO

Watching the highlights vid, I am not sure that Maguire was in an offside position - although the goalkeeper had moved
forward thre were two defenders in shot, one behind the goal line and one other the 12.

Maguire was in an offside position when it was last touched by his team mate (shown by the still in the OP).
The defender then moved back behind the goal line.

Maguire was in an offside position when it was last touched by his team mate (shown by the still in the OP).
The defender then moved back behind the goal line.
As many have said on here, stills can be misleading. If you freeze the video at the MU player plays the ball, there are two defenders goalside of Maguire.

Back