A&H

Masks

I disagree. If it's not recognised/bespoke "safety" equipment then it falls outside of Law 4, is not necessary for playing football, and should be removed. The "facemasks" part of the law which you've quoted above, for me, refers to the medical type, as seen worn by top players who are protecting an injured jaw/nose/cheekbone etc.

I once had a player tried to walk onto the pitch on a really cold day wearing a snood. He was told to remove it.

and you would be correct to prevent a player wearing a snood as that is dangerous (it goes round the neck). I would dispute that a facemask that is looped around the ears is dangerous.

The Referee Store
and you would be correct to prevent a player wearing a snood as that is dangerous (it goes round the neck). I would dispute that a facemask that is looped around the ears is dangerous.

In real terms, no more dangerous than a wedding ring or a string "friendship bracelet" but you wouldn't allow either of those to be worn would you?

A real pedant might also claim that anything covering the nose and mouth during cardiovascular activity constitutes a genuine health risk to the wearer .... ;)

In real terms, no more dangerous than a wedding ring or a string "friendship bracelet" but you wouldn't allow either of those to be worn would you?

A real pedant might also claim that anything covering the nose and mouth during cardiovascular activity constitutes a genuine health risk to the wearer .... ;)

A ring or a friendship bracelet is not easily removed and can therefore cause injury if caught. A facemask looped around the ears can be easily removed. I seem to remember seeing images years ago when they introduced the ring law of players who lost fingers as they got trapped in fences.

I would say we need some more clarity as law clearly states “facemasks”.

Personally I wouldn’t wear one whilst playing, nor would I advise it.

Reactions: Kes
I am of course wearing face masks in public indoor places, but there is no way I would wear a mask officiating as I find it really uncomfortable. Not even sure how comfortable I would be if I had to wear one for the full game sat in the stand observing, but time will tell with that I guess.

I am of course wearing face masks in public indoor places
I won't wear a mask outside until the Govt. mandates it. The benefit in most outdoor settings is negligible and I fear that we might end up with a mentality like that of some foreigners who wear them all the time for no good reason

First post-lockdown game today. One team from a County Prem and the other Step 7
All I can say, is neither team showed any interest in 'back to football' guidelines. I made efforts, otherwise it was no different from any other game
Thankfully, our meteorological friends in Brackley weren't too accurate with the forecast as it was 5 degrees cooler then predicted.... so I didn't melt!

Last edited:
I won't wear a mask outside until the Govt. mandates it. The benefit in most outdoor settings is negligible and I fear that we might end up with a mentality like that of some foreigners who wear them all the time for no good reason

First post-lockdown game today. One team from a County Prem and the other Step 7
All I can say, is neither team showed any interest in 'back to football' guidelines. I made efforts, otherwise it was no different from any other game
Thankfully, our meteorological friends in Brackley weren't too accurate with the forecast as it was 5 degrees cooler then predicted.... so I didn't melt!

Had a game this morning. Excellent game to referee but 0 covid initiatives in place.

Had a game this morning. Excellent game to referee but 0 covid initiatives in place.
Mine was okay yesterday. Step 6. Players changed in the Stand, socially distanced from each other. We setup on the other side of the pitch. Had sanitizer in my pocket and players were generally respecting of my personal space even to issue cautions etc.

I am of course wearing face masks in public indoor places, but there is no way I would wear a mask officiating as I find it really uncomfortable. Not even sure how comfortable I would be if I had to wear one for the full game sat in the stand observing, but time will tell with that I guess.
I misread your post last night. Ignore my reply. Two bottles of beer and I was away with the fairies!

Back