A&H

Junior/Youth Mass con U16’s

DanBason7

Level 7 Referee
I had an incident in a game I reffed this weekend where the keeper for the blue team came out of his area and went in very recklessly into red team striker. After this red team striker tripped up then keeper when getting up, this was after I had awarded the free kick and was going to deal with the keeper. This then escalated where the blue team keeper then swung at the striker who backed off and from there the captain for the red team sprinted from one side of the pitch to where the foul took place and flying kicked the keeper in the chest.
The coaches came on and separated their players and I called over the coaches to discuss the cautions I was going to give out. After a short chat with my CAR, I decided that the blue keeper and red captain were going to receive red cards and red striker a yellow. Both coaches then agreed with this, however if they didn’t I wouldn’t matter anyway. This incident overall lasted 7 mins as the replacement Keeper had to change, I then added this on at the end of the first half.
Was this the correct way to deal with the situation?

The Referee Store
Others might advise otherwise, but at that age group, I wouldn't be involving the coaches regarding the punishment. You said, if they disagreed it wouldn't matter, so I would ask you, why involve them in the first place? Based on what you have described, I think everyone is expecting a red card in this situation for the red captain and blue keeper.

I'm also not sure that I would involve a CAR, it may have worked for you, but in most situations they are going to do their best to tell you how it was all the opposition team's fault and not their player.

Good job mate.

Others have talked about coaches and assistants and I agree with them.

In your situation, if the coaches and the CARs are helping tidy up the situation by restraining players etc they are on your side to a certain degree.

I wouldn't involve them as part of the decision process, but I would certainly explain my decision to the coaches after a mass con. As I would only restart the game if I was confident it would not ignite again.

You had to be there situation. I can imagine if you’ve had a massive mass con with the coaches on, with minors, and generally to keep the coaches on your side, I can understand why you would talk to them direct and sell the decisions.

But as above at this age would advise against.

Overall well done for handling this very challenging match!

Back