A&H

Mass confrontation

Jorik0907

Hi all, for once I'd like to bring a positive note to these type of threads. Last Saturday, I had my first serious mass con. Never had one before as the leagues I work on are generally well behaved. However, minute 87 and Green 12 slides in with excessive force. Unfortunately, I had cramped up so I couldn't sprint to the scene and the Blue keeper had already decided to push G12, causing a scene in which all nearby players start some handbags but nothing too serious.
Having never been in one before, I improvised in @Ciley Myrus style and physically removed the goalkeeper from the scene and pushed him back into his box, warning him that I didn't want another word from him. Then called in both captains to get them to calm their players down, and explain the upcoming cards to them. Of course, I hadn't seen everything in the rustle, so I sent off the striker and cautioned the keeper, and the final three minutes went down smoothly.
All in all, it was a fun game and even though I know becoming involved in a scene isn't recommended, I feel as though I prevented a full on fight by doing so. It gets your adrenaline rushing and I'm looking forward to next weekend.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Hi all, for once I'd like to bring a positive note to these type of threads. Last Saturday, I had my first serious mass con. Never had one before as the leagues I work on are generally well behaved. However, minute 87 and Green 12 slides in with excessive force. Unfortunately, I had cramped up so I couldn't sprint to the scene and the Blue keeper had already decided to push G12, causing a scene in which all nearby players start some handbags but nothing too serious.
Having never been in one before, I improvised in @Ciley Myrus style and physically removed the goalkeeper from the scene and pushed him back into his box, warning him that I didn't want another word from him. Then called in both captains to get them to calm their players down, and explain the upcoming cards to them. Of course, I hadn't seen everything in the rustle, so I sent off the striker and cautioned the keeper, and the final three minutes went down smoothly.
All in all, it was a fun game and even though I know becoming involved in a scene isn't recommended, I feel as though I prevented a full on fight by doing so. It gets your adrenaline rushing and I'm looking forward to next weekend.

Sounds like you diffused the situation well, however i wouldn't recommend physically removing or pushing players. What if he claims you assaulted him? What if he decides he doesn't like being man handled and punches you? My advice would be to get on the scene quickly, get a good angle and try and use your voice to diffuse it. Yes it worked on this occasion but next time may not pan out that way.

My instinct/inclination is to get myself between the target of the furore with arms outstretched, facing the indignant protesters
I'd concede that the whistle has some effect, but a commanding voice falls on deaf ears (unless they're kids or wet behind the lugs)
If that doesn't work, it's onto plan B (which i haven't formulated yet)
I can't see how this could lead to accusation of wrongdoing on my part. If I get lamped whilst in the thick of it, so be it

Strongly echo the idea of don't push a player. What do you do when he pushes back and you started it? Stepping between (if there is space) is one thing, but pushing is something totally different.

Hard whistles and using your voice are good tools--it is not uncommon for those squaring off to want the "cover" to back off ("yea, I woulda kicked his @$$ but the ref stopped me!")

Back