A&H

Match Abandoned 90th minute with 8 added

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Today was a day I'd like to forget.

An route to this particular game I was in a car accident.
The driver pulled out of side road straight into me. He asks if we can leave insurance out of it and do it ourselves.
Erm, no.

Anyway, on I go and arrive at my game with 20 minutes before kick off.
Was a county cup fixture.

First half goes with 3 cautions, 1 for dissent and it's 1-0 home side with away team the better.
2nd half... well.....
A mass con involving all players, and subs from one team too. Managers on and separate and players and game restarts after 4 minutes., and 2 red cards. The first was for spitting in the face of a player which started the mass con. Captain for away side runs 20 yards to shoves a player and gets his marching orders as he was already on a yellow. Job done.
A few yellows later and another red. With the yellows totting up, it was bound to happen. Player was cautioned only 2 minutes earlier and this time with the ball sailing over his head he swings leg backwards and up high enough to not just catch the opponent but caught him a cm under the eye. 2nd yellow and off he goes. Pleads his innocence saying he didn't mean to do it, then said he ducked his head.
Game heading into added time and ball booted out of area to start a counter, I get to half way line and something was bugging me that I should look behind me despite the ball being in front and heading to far corner. As I turned, I saw home player square up and push defender. I stopped play and before I can even do anything everyone runs on and starts again. Blow up, full time. Abandoned.

Then as talking to both managers who agree with everything I said, the two sets of players on opposite sides of the pitch with their parents, the players start charging at each other!
I just watched and let them get on with it as the parents were trying to separate it and a few of the players. Even the managers stood there.
30 seconds later, it disperses again and this time the home team are shouting and pointing to car park saying they'll have them in there.
The home side were 8 minutes from winning a county cup tie.

I was not being observed but an observer was present and said I had a good game and done what I could.

The Referee Store
Which one was it, full time or abandoned?
Sounds like you cautioned pushes, which I'd agree with (except a push in the face)
Not sure why i miss all the action, only had 2 reds in roughly 80 games...

It was abandoned, I will reassure I never said full time to players...

It was stupid. I just don't understand the need to keep threatening players.

I wouldn't worry about it. People turn into different animals the moment they transform into players. I'm level headed and usually calm, but i was dismissed for OFFINABUS more than once. In a way, I get slightly envious as I'm not really getting the opportunity to handle situations like you faced this morning and we can't learn from experience if we're not tested. Anyway, it doesn't sound like you weren't the main dish on the menu, the players just wanted to tuck into one another!

Sounds like you dealt with everything in the manner you should have, there’s not much we can do when players are intent on causing chaos.

Only thing I would have done differently is probably just blew for full time rather than abandonment, you have played 90 mins, added time is at your discretion, so well within your rights to say game over and report all incidents.

Sounds like you dealt with everything in the manner you should have, there’s not much we can do when players are intent on causing chaos.

Only thing I would have done differently is probably just blew for full time rather than abandonment, you have played 90 mins, added time is at your discretion, so well within your rights to say game over and report all incidents.

Thing is, both teams knew there was time to be added, especially after the first mass con. And with scores at 1-0 it would have created me even more problems I think.

Not had a mass con yet but it will happen no doubt. Sounds like you did everything you could, you certainly haven't had a bad game. What was the total card count?

Not had a mass con yet but it will happen no doubt. Sounds like you did everything you could, you certainly haven't had a bad game. What was the total card count?

6 yellow, another 2 players got 2 yellows each and a red (making it 10 yellows) and a straight red.
Cards wasn't helping diffuse the game, so not sure what else I could have done.

Well done. Sounds torrid!

Did you have NARs, did they help?

Have you found something to work on from this, now you’ve slept on it, what improvement points?

Mass con, by yourself, is really a lottery. I think all you can hope for is the 2 who started it, and after that, its lucky dip time, trying if possible to avoid guys already on a yellow unless its stonewall and cant be ignored
a thankless task and someone will usually avoid punishment that should be sanctioned and someone will usually get a card who did not deserve one !!

Well done. Sounds torrid!

Did you have NARs, did they help?

Have you found something to work on from this, now you’ve slept on it, what improvement points?

All on my own.
I've tried to go over the game in my head and can not think of how else I could have dealt with it. I had 9 individual players in my book, with 11 cards issued. It was obvious cards was not a deterrent.
Though the county cup game did have sin bins but it's just for dissent. No one actually gave me dissent to be sin binned.
This is where I think we should be able to sin bin players for other offences just not sure for what exactly and how to word it so it's clear and not in a position to be interpreted differently by each official.

I don't agree. We're not talking about 30 seconds here.
A fair chunk of the match didn't get played. Also the league will, in theory, be more concerned about an abandoned game then something that happened after the game and it sounds like both teams need the book thrown at them. Don't lie to protect players, especially when they've done this sort of thing.

Back