A&H

Match halves/length

Tommy

Level 8 Referee
Just a quick question, could some one please give me a guide as to how long matches/ halves are for different age groups, or tell me how to work it out.

The Referee Store
Hi Tommy, these are the duration's in my local league, I am not sure if it's any different in your leagues.

U7-U8 - 20 minutes E/W
U9-U10 - 25 minutes E/W
U11-U12 - 30 minutes E/W
U13-U14 - 35 minutes E/W
U15-U16 - 40 minutes E/W
U17-U18 - 45 minutes E/W

I hope this helps :)

e/w means each way
you should get a handbook from the league you are due to officiate in, and that will have the minimum duration of each age groups matches . it may vary from league to league

For Youth football – The duration of play shall be as follows unless it is mutually agreed by all parties to reduce the time. For under 11 and under 12, 30 minutes each half; for under 13, 14, 35 minutes each half and under 15 and under 16, 40 minutes each half; under 17 and under 18, 45 minutes each half.

The minimum time for any game will not be less than 20 minutes each half for players in the under 14 age group and below and 25 minutes each half for all other age groups.

No player participating in an under 17 division or lower age group shall be permitted to play more than one game or, in the event the competition allows the playing of a double-header, ie: two separate matches, 100 minutes per day in this Competition.

thats an extract from Kent FA standard code of rules for youth competitions

In the league I ref in it's
U7s-U10s 20 mins per half
U11s-U13s 30 mins
U14s-U15s 35 mins
U16s 40 mins
U17s-U18s 45 mins

For Youth football – The duration of play shall be as follows unless it is mutually agreed by all parties to reduce the time. For under 11 and under 12, 30 minutes each half; for under 13, 14, 35 minutes each half and under 15 and under 16, 40 minutes each half; under 17 and under 18, 45 minutes each half.

The minimum time for any game will not be less than 20 minutes each half for players in the under 14 age group and below and 25 minutes each half for all other age groups.

No player participating in an under 17 division or lower age group shall be permitted to play more than one game or, in the event the competition allows the playing of a double-header, ie: two separate matches, 100 minutes per day in this Competition.

thats an extract from Kent FA standard code of rules for youth competitions
Due to some haranguing of the FA (initiated by my club, I'm pleased to say, although not by me...!), the standard code has been updated, and the time limit now applies across all competitions. Image extracted from source.

2017-02-15.png

Back