A&H

Mentor

nel

Hi all.
I know it's not important at the moment but was thinking about this. I'm thinking about becoming a mentor for younger referees when they qualify to help then out. Is it true some CFA are using microphones to communicate with mentees during matches.

I'm actually now level 5 not level 7

The Referee Store
I have not heard that before, but if it is happening it is not following the guidelines for mentoring new referees, where we watch their performance, chat briefly and encouragingly at half time and at full time, and leave the new referee with one aspect to work on in their next games.
It's hard enough for new referees, without a voice in their ear!

Hi all.
I know it's not important at the moment but was thinking about this. I'm thinking about becoming a mentor for younger referees when they qualify to help then out. Is it true some CFA are using microphones to communicate with mentees during matches.

I'm actually now level 5 not level 7

innocent bystander, so dont shoot if my input is factually incorrect

thoughts though, I hope not. Did Webb, Clattenburg, Taylor, Oliver need this to get to the very top? No
So why would Joe Random.

we need to go out there and do our own thing, experience things going wrong, find out for ourselves why, not be fed it, but , feel it
This cannot be done with someone shouting " offside" in your ear
By all means, a video review, and by all means, experience of comms on line with a good communicator in the middle, I used my set for plenty closed door games and whilst I would not make the ARs call, I would when talking say, ' went with you but careful,you were a bit fast' or so on
Speak fast, act slow and all that, do our talking with the mouth then the flag

as Alfred says to Batman, Batman, why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves up

worked out ok for him

innocent bystander, so dont shoot if my input is factually incorrect

thoughts though, I hope not. Did Webb, Clattenburg, Taylor, Oliver need this to get to the very top? No
So why would Joe Random.

we need to go out there and do our own thing, experience things going wrong, find out for ourselves why, not be fed it, but , feel it
This cannot be done with someone shouting " offside" in your ear
By all means, a video review, and by all means, experience of comms on line with a good communicator in the middle, I used my set for plenty closed door games and whilst I would not make the ARs call, I would when talking say, ' went with you but careful,you were a bit fast' or so on
Speak fast, act slow and all that, do our talking with the mouth then the flag

as Alfred says to Batman, Batman, why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves up

worked out ok for him

How do you know that those referees didn't have mentors when they started out as trainee referees? Oliver's old man was a Football League referee so he had a mentor by default, and I have a vague recollection that Webb's dad was also a referee.

Different people need different help. Personally I'm thick skinned and try to learn myself, that's in work and normal life as well as refereeing. But others aren't like that and need to sound off against others when things have gone wrong to try and get help. Others are in the middle between those two areas.

Mentors have a place to play in all areas, when people start a new job they often get a mentor assigned to help them find their feet. I don't see refereeing as being any different, a new green around the gills young referee may well benefit massively from a more experienced colleague watching their games or even just offering advice over the phone.

How do you know that those referees didn't have mentors when they started out as trainee referees? Oliver's old man was a Football League referee so he had a mentor by default, and I have a vague recollection that Webb's dad was also a referee.

Different people need different help. Personally I'm thick skinned and try to learn myself, that's in work and normal life as well as refereeing. But others aren't like that and need to sound off against others when things have gone wrong to try and get help. Others are in the middle between those two areas.

Mentors have a place to play in all areas, when people start a new job they often get a mentor assigned to help them find their feet. I don't see refereeing as being any different, a new green around the gills young referee may well benefit massively from a more experienced colleague watching their games or even just offering advice over the phone.

Sorry we on diff wave lengths, i was replying to the topic of using the comms

To clarify, having a mentor, is essential.
the op asked about use of the mics to communiate with mentees during games, this subject was the sole core of my reply
Not the subject of, Mentors

I never got any help whatsoever, I didn't ask as I didn't even know anything existed!! Complete in at the deep end, balls deep!!! Its sink or swim at my level with the clientele on show....

In general I am against using comms for new referees. Early on it's about basics. However once in say third or fourth year comms can be a very useful tool if not overused and used the right way.

I don't get the logic of because some top referees did not use comms when they were mentored it's not good. For starters when they started 20-30 years ago comms were only used at top flight due to cost. Like it or not technology is becoming more common and for me that is a good thing if used in the right way.

Webb's dad was a referee. Hes in his 51st year at the Rotherham RA

Back