A&H

Mike Parry comment on twitter

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
I know hes a 100% attention seeking **** insert your own words.

He says a penalty taker shouldn't be allowed to have the rebound even if a keeper has touched the ball, obviously in law its perfectly fine and legal but does he have a point.

Pogba yesterday for example has a tap in from eight yards while other defenders five yards (at best) further back.

Thoughts ?

The Referee Store
Don’t see a need to change it. It’s like any other free kick etc in respect to playing it twice.

When I was a keeper I was taught to save and make sure it went wide of the posts to avoid running in.
If it goes straight back to kicker then it’s part of the game.
Would also make it difficult to manage and cause massive pileups in the box I reckon

I know hes a 100% attention seeking **** insert your own words.

He says a penalty taker shouldn't be allowed to have the rebound even if a keeper has touched the ball, obviously in law its perfectly fine and legal but does he have a point.

Pogba yesterday for example has a tap in from eight yards while other defenders five yards (at best) further back.

Thoughts ?
I think that the penalty has been given for a reason - that reason being that an unfair act has been committed by the opponents within close proximity of their goal and the penalty is a way to try and redress the balance by giving the team that was offended against, the best chance possible to score a goal. If this doesn't happen on the first kick, I'm not sure why the penalty kick taker should not be allowed to continue with a reasonably good opportunity to score as that was pretty much the whole object of the exercise in the first place.

But wouldn't penalty kicks work better if we ran them in a similar fashion to KFTPM? In other words a single kick: score and we go to kick off; miss or save and we go to goal kick. All other players except taker and goalkeeper to wait in centre circle. No worries about player encroachment; ref can stand almost on goal line and watch keeper movement and ball over the line. Simples

If the offence for the penalty wasn't committed and the attacker had a shot saved, wouldn't the attacker have the right to kick the rebound? Why wouldn't he (or his team mate) have the same right for the penalty which replaced the shot.

A penalty is a replacement for the original chance which would have also allowed others to get involved if it was saved so a KFTPM style kick is also not the solution for me.

Last edited:
What’s different in a penalty hitting the post then and coming back to the kicker ?

Why should it be different, he’s getting two bites of the cherry.

What’s different in a penalty hitting the post then and coming back to the kicker ?

What? It's a feature of absolutely 100% of restarts taken by a player that the player cannot touch the ball again until a second player has touched it, while it's a feature of 100% of such restarts that a player can touch the ball again after another player has touched it. Why on earth should penalties be any different to every other restart - and where would be the consistency?

Still waiting for this to happen in one of mine... when it comes - it will be so sweet chalking it off!!!
Insert evil laugh here... 😈 😆

But wouldn't penalty kicks work better if we ran them in a similar fashion to KFTPM? In other words a single kick: score and we go to kick off; miss or save and we go to goal kick. All other players except taker and goalkeeper to wait in centre circle. No worries about player encroachment; ref can stand almost on goal line and watch keeper movement and ball over the line. Simples
That's quite an idea. Maybe the IFAB should consider it or something. Oh, wait a minute ...

IFAB Fair Play proposals

Many IFAB proposals seem to legislate for things that referees have powers to deal with but choose to ignore (“manage”).

Reactions: one
Porky Parry.Very entertaining to listen to. Complete barmpot most of the time but have you heard of his campaign to make the goals bigger. If you listen to what he says it makes sense but probably too expensive to implement. As for the penalty bitter blue nose supporter.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it wasn't such a stupid run up I doubt anyone would be talking about it.

the only thing i would change would be to have fouled players take the PK. only on hand situations or injuries/replacements would another player be allowed to take a shot. something like basketball has it now. it gives a chance to other players to score goals and not only CR7s, Messis, Neymars, etc.. CR7 would have never get as many goals as he does if others took PKs as well.

Back