A&H

More AR tips...

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I posted a couple of weeks ago looking for tips for my first big AR fixture. I was hoping for more tips, especially regarding smaller things, rather than spotting offsides and misconducts. Also, what other tips are there for me to get a high rating out of 100 by the referee? Quite nervous as it’s my first game and it’s in front a of a paying attendance where standards are high...

The Referee Store
I posted a couple of weeks ago looking for tips for my first big AR fixture. I was hoping for more tips, especially regarding smaller things, rather than spotting offsides and misconducts. Also, what other tips are there for me to get a high rating out of 100 by the referee? Quite nervous as it’s my first game and it’s in front a of a paying attendance where standards are high...
Concentration is massive, keep talking to yourself either in your head or out loud: "number 10 is off, okay now he's not" etc. It really helps to be sure of your decisions and keep focused.

Concentration is massive, keep talking to yourself either in your head or out loud: "number 10 is off, okay now he's not" etc. It really helps to be sure of your decisions and keep focused.
Cheers

Buy him a pint! The talking thing is something i do all the time when i am working as an assistant. Oh and buy him dinner!

Stupid question... but what equipment am I expected to bring as 2nd assistant?

Bring your normal equipment. Never take anything out of your bag because you can be sure you will forget to put it back in for your next game.

Bring your normal equipment. Never take anything out of your bag because you can be sure you will forget to put it back in for your next game.
I have my referee stuff in a shoebox in my room😂 I’ll bring all my normal stuff anyway like you said

Stupid question... but what equipment am I expected to bring as 2nd assistant?
The senior assistant should basically tool up as if he's reffing the match - as if the ref goes down injured, he'd be the one expected to step in. For this reason, I'd always bring all your stuff to the match, as you never know if the ref will decide that you're going to be senior, even if you think it's 99% sure that you'll be the less experienced official.

Assuming you do end up being junior AR, you'll still need to take out a notebook & pencil as the ref will probably ask you to write something down/you may need to make notes if a mass con kicks off. It's also worth running a watch as anyone might ask you for the time. Whistle and cards are less likely to be necessary, but you're unlikely to get any complaints from the ref if you do want to take them out just in case.

The senior assistant should basically tool up as if he's reffing the match - as if the ref goes down injured, he'd be the one expected to step in. For this reason, I'd always bring all your stuff to the match, as you never know if the ref will decide that you're going to be senior, even if you think it's 99% sure that you'll be the less experienced official.

Assuming you do end up being junior AR, you'll still need to take out a notebook & pencil as the ref will probably ask you to write something down/you may need to make notes if a mass con kicks off. It's also worth running a watch as anyone might ask you for the time. Whistle and cards are less likely to be necessary, but you're unlikely to get any complaints from the ref if you do want to take them out just in case.
Thanks so much!

Small things... OK...
Pre match, if not mentioned, you could ask;
- do you want me to shout your name for a flag up behind your back?
- do you like a tap of the pocket if I think it’s a card?
- do you want me to turn my body to tell you inside/outside the box at penalty decisions?
- do you want me to look for foul throws, just feet on the pitch or...?

In the game:
- relax, take your time
- expect the unexpected, presume every long shot will bounce off the bar into the goal and every catch will be dropped;)
- at wait and see, keep moving

Small things... OK...
Pre match, if not mentioned, you could ask;
- do you want me to shout your name for a flag up behind your back?
- do you like a tap of the pocket if I think it’s a card?
- do you want me to turn my body to tell you inside/outside the box at penalty decisions?
- do you want me to look for foul throws, just feet on the pitch or...?

In the game:
- relax, take your time
- expect the unexpected, presume every long shot will bounce off the bar into the goal and every catch will be dropped;)
- at wait and see, keep moving
Wow, I didn’t even think about the tapping pocket. I presume I have to flag for fouls? I’ve been looking through the league officials’ handbook and can’t find anything, or is it entirely up to the referee?

You are normally given an area of credibility. Its split into 3. Some refs don't want you to flag for penalties others will. When I'm in the middle if one of my assistants spots something I don't I want them to flag. I think you should trust your Assistants but I will always do what the ref has asked me to do. He is leading the team and should be clear in his match briefing what he expects of you. Like buy the Jaffa Cakes:)

You are normally given an area of credibility. Its split into 3. Some refs don't want you to flag for penalties others will. When I'm in the middle if one of my assistants spots something I don't I want them to flag. I think you should trust your Assistants but I will always do what the ref has asked me to do. He is leading the team and should be clear in his match briefing what he expects of you. Like buy the Jaffa Cakes:)
What is all this about Jaffa Cakes? 😂

What is all this about Jaffa Cakes? 😂
It's not about getting a 100 rating from the referee.
The most important thing is to concentrate.

Stay with the 2nd last defender - or the ball - remember to follow the ball when a winger is running with it, or there's a ball over the top, or a shot.

Crab, sideways, as much as you can feel comfortable with, when the play is active in your half, or there might be a long ball.

Wait and see for offsides unless the it's obvious that an attacker and goalkeeper might collide.

Throw ins and corners: change hands first, while looking for your ref, get ready to flag, get the flag up smartly if it's obvious, otherwise, watch your referee, his tip, his movement, makes it easy to signal together, and makes sure you never signal against your ref.

And if players are running at you, get out of the way! You can forget the second last defender if two players are about to slide into you ;)

Back