A&H

Most reds to one team?

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
I’ve had 3 to one team, in a friendly, and I was being nice too... could have been more! Other team nothing! What’s your record?

The Referee Store
5 to one team, 4 to the other. Game abandoned

2 to one side and 1 to the other.
I had a game I had to abandon after an all in fight. If I had the chance to red card players in that game it would have been more than a dozen.
A record I am happier to boast about is a game I did last year in the top division of open age grassroots. both teams were playing for points and it was a tense game but It did not have a single card in the game. It's a rare thing in our association which is well known for poorly behaved players.

As a level four I had the same team twice in three weeks, with the same assessor (as they were called at the time) watching on both occasions - I know, bad planning! The first time I had four away team players off - although I actually missed the most serious incident in the game so it should have been five reds for one team.
A home player was fouled and the GK shouted at me "F***ing hell Ref! are you going to deal with that!" I looked at him and shouted at him to be quiet, then looked back at the player on the ground. In the half second I was looking away one of the two players standing over him had stamped on him leaving 6 stud marks on his chest. Neither my assistants nor the assessor saw which of the players it was so I had to deal as best I could, which wasn't ideal.
One of the spectators on that occasion wrote a match report about another game by the away team and referenced this one, saying it "bordered on downright thuggery!" I thought it actually went way beyond the border.
The next game I had 7 off, including 6 from the home team! The league had a bit of an issue with discipline!

I once sent off 3 players apiece. 4 in the first half, 2 in the second. All dismissals in the first half were for violent conduct and I somehow managed to get a grip back on the game. All there was in the second half was two players earned themselves second cautions (all 4 of their cautions were fouls). That was a fun morning! I always seem to find the title deciders more challenging:(

I walked away from an 18 man fight that ended in 2 sine die and 3 retrospective reds, TBF I could have found a reason for 18 red cards but a serious kick to a head took precedence. That was sickening!

Four to the same team, none to the opponents. The first couple of reds came in 40th and the final red came in 90th minute. A couple of cautions and misconducts, too. Strangely enough, the game was decent.

Most I've had is 3 to one team and 1 to the other. Throw in 8 cautions on top and it was a day to remember. Sound horrendous but looking back I was satisfied that every card I issued was merited and it was one of my best performances as a referee - it was a cup semi final and as I was later awarded the final someone else must have thought so too.

Back