A&H

Moving to Adult Football

GeorgeMReferee

Hi all, my first post on here. I'm 17 and I've been refereeing youth football (up to U16) for the past season and the start of this. However, I was on an U19 line yesterday with a fairly senior referee and his mentor, as well as someone fairly high up at the CFA, who all seemed disappointed (for want of a better word) that I wasn't refereeing open age yet.

I was going to move onto adults next season regardless but this has now spurred me on a little bit, and now I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for me if I do go into adults this season?

Also, would it be wise going for 7-6 in my first season in OA or should I see if I can adapt first?

Thanks everyone

The Referee Store
'Disappointed', how? given that, presumably they hadn't seen you referee

17 - now there's a clue

there's been a few threads on here over time about this subject, George. If you stick a few key words in the search box at the top of the page or scan through the relevant forums on the forum page, you'll find lots of helpful advice

as for the promotion scheme, the sooner the better to my way of thinking - but you know yourself best

welcome to refchat

Welcome to the forum @GeorgeMReferee.

Pretty much agree with @haywain exactly. Move into OA when you feel ready, go for promotion when you can. You may not get promoted first try (but then you might) and it helps you develop your skills as a referee through the feedback you get.

Thanks for the helpful messages guys. I think I will try a couple of OA friendlies and reserve games this season if possible. If I enjoy it then I'll go for promotion the season after methinks.

Do it ... prepare for it too though - it isn't about age - especially on this forum - but - u16 players will look at you / treat you differently to open-age players

I'm going to see if I can go and watch some of the more senior refs in my RA on a matchday and see how they handle things, as well as getting a mentor and doing some lines first of all before going into the middle.

Back