A&H

Name The Ref

The Referee Store
13/15 and I'm gutted (and a touch embarrassed) to say I got #6 wrong. I could have googled #15 but try to deduce the answer instead. I figured it was an England vs. Wales Home International so the ref would be Northern Irish or Scottish and guessed from there. Wrongly, as it happens.

I love how you explained your maths behind question 15, such precise and perfec tthoughts - then end it with ... I was wrong ! hahaha @David Sutton

13/15 and I'm gutted (and a touch embarrassed) to say I got #6 wrong. I could have googled #15 but try to deduce the answer instead. I figured it was an England vs. Wales Home International so the ref would be Northern Irish or Scottish and guessed from there. Wrongly, as it happens.

And I like this story I found about him, too.

"Johnny Hamilton, who played for [insert player's team], left his false teeth as usual on the dressing-room table.
And, during the game, [insert Ref's name] had the occasion, first to caution him, then to send him off with the immortal words 'Mr Hamilton, your time has come to be re-united with your teeth'."

And I've tried not to spoil it by giving any answers away.

No6, Newcastle vs Brentford in the early 90's. I was at the game, Keegan's Newcastle battered Brentford for 90 minutes, eventually winning 5-1.

Newcastle also had 2 goals disallowed, one of which was baffling to say the least and had it been broadcast on live TV by Sky today probably would have provoked the usual media outrage and countless replays. Brentford keeper clears the ball from hand which reaches inside the Newcastle half of the centre circle. Robert Lee immediately volleys the ball straight back over keeper's head and into the net. Newcastle fans and players wildly celebrate... Hackett runs over to consult with his assistant, then disallows Lee's goal.... for an indirect free kick in Newcastle's favour (offside against Brentford)! Needless to say, the Geordies were less than pleased. :confused:

Hackett may or may not have blown his whistle, but seriously doubt anyone would have heard it given the deafening noise inside SJP that day!

I was right on the nationality.
My first impression, given the slovenly appearance, was @RegalRef but he wasn't listed in the answers.

Yawn.

Do you clean your boots after every single game? Wear a freshly laundered kit every game even for multiple games in the same day? Have all the correctly badged warm up kits, coats, track suits etc? Remove all rings and jewellery for every game?

I do all of the above. I do not look unkempt, untidy, dirty or slovenly.

If I ever stop submitting cards or become last weeks ref by all means get on my case.

Until that point bore off.

No6, Newcastle vs Brentford in the early 90's. I was at the game, Keegan's Newcastle battered Brentford for 90 minutes, eventually winning 5-1.

Newcastle also had 2 goals disallowed, one of which was baffling to say the least and had it been broadcast on live TV by Sky today probably would have provoked the usual media outrage and countless replays. Brentford keeper clears the ball from hand which reaches inside the Newcastle half of the centre circle. Robert Lee immediately volleys the ball straight back over keeper's head and into the net. Newcastle fans and players wildly celebrate... Hackett runs over to consult with his assistant, then disallows Lee's goal.... for an indirect free kick in Newcastle's favour (offside against Brentford)! Needless to say, the Geordies were less than pleased. :confused:

Hackett may or may not have blown his whistle, but seriously doubt anyone would have heard it given the deafening noise inside SJP that day!
Obviously off-side ;)

Do you clean your boots after every single game? Wear a freshly laundered kit every game even for multiple games in the same day? Have all the correctly badged warm up kits, coats, track suits etc? Remove all rings and jewellery for every game?
Bloody hell, I touched a nerve there. Not intended to be anything but a light hearted aside at another thread which was getting out of hand. I won't dress it up any other way - I'm sorry.

FWIW, the answers are:-
  • Yes. I look after my 4 pairs of boots with polish and dubbin each and every game. They're not cheap but comfortable and good maintenance is essential.
  • Again, yes. I have 4 sets (shirts, shorts and socks) of kit, 2 short-sleeved, 2 long-sleeved and an understanding wife if required.
  • No I don't but I arrive suited and booted for Saturday and tracksuited for Sunday complete with warm up clothing befitting a referee. If the FA, my CFA and the local leagues provide me with badges, I'll use them.
  • Yes. Don't wear any, never have done.

Scored 13 out of 15. Had no idea who #14 was, although I knew it wasn't Philip Don. And #15 was well before my time (at least before I started following English football), so I just guessed. Same with #5, but that one was a simple process of elimination.

Wish a Dutch newspaper came up with a quiz like this...

@RefereeingBooks - for us please - could you list a 'top 10' of Dutch referees - past & present ... I wonder how many of them we'd know here in the UK ...

@RefereeingBooks - for us please - could you list a 'top 10' of Dutch referees - past & present ... I wonder how many of them we'd know here in the UK ...
Well, alright then, here goes. From the top of my head. Apologies to any ref, dead or alive, who feels left out ;)

Johannes van Moorsel (1930s)
Leo Horn (1950s-1960s)
Lau van Ravens (1960s-1970s)
Frans Derks (1970s)
Jan Keizer (1970s)
Charles Korver (1970s-1980s)
Ignace van Swieten (1980s-1990s)
John Blankenstein (1980s-1990s)
Mario van der Ende (1980s-1990s-2000s)
Dick Jol (1990s-2000s)
Björn Kuipers (2010s)

I've tried to include the best (and best known) from recent and not so recent decades. There are lots more, and some have enjoyed some sort of cult status (Roelof Luinge, René Temmink, Ab Schuurmans, Jaap Uilenberg, to name a few), but the above list might ring a bell with you.

Enjoy!

Back