george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #19
Netherlands vs Ecudaor
Friday, 25 November 2022
19:00 local time (16:00 GMT)
Al-Rayyan

Referee: Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG)

Assistant Referee 1: Mokrane Gourari (ALG)
Assistant Referee 2: Abdelhak Etchial (ALG)
Fourth Official: Said Martinez (HON)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Helpys Raymundo Feliz (DOM)
Video Assistant Referee: Shaun Evans (AUS)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Redouane Jiyed (MOR)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Ashley Beecham (AUS)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Muhammad Bin Jahari (SIN)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Anton Shchetinin (AUS)

The Referee Store
I know why it's given, but there's no way the offside player interferes with the play. Feels harsh

Grief absolutely insane delayed offside flag against Netherlands...easy call, at least 5 yards off

The sort of call that drives players and fans mad

Grief absolutely insane delayed offside flag against Netherlands...easy call, at least 5 yards off

The sort of call that drives players and fans mad
I’d love to know more about how the powers that be assess plays like this. I get that, ultimately, the protocol is technically correct. However, I’d really like to see at least a verbal note in an assessment saying, “Hold on, you really should have flagged it early because it’s so obvious.”

I’m guessing that this is not even a discussion point.

Regarding the line of sight offside, it get it’s a harsh call. However, I don’t see how you can’t give this as offside. Regardless of whether it’s a deflection, etc., the attacker is still basically right in front of the keeper interfering with line of sight. I think you have to give the defenders the benefit of the doubt on a play like this. I realize this somewhat goes against “give the attackers the benefit of the doubt”, but it doesn’t seem fair to the defenders to have this be called in favor of the attackers.

Reactions: es1
Hmm the line of sight offside. I don’t think this was right. The shot is not on target. Surely the LoS cannot apply. Then there’s a deflection and the attacker is not in line and does not impact.

Surely the player cannot be guilty of preventing the GK of playing the ball if the GK had no possibility to play the ball until the deflection… thoughts?

Surely the player cannot be guilty of preventing the GK of playing the ball if the GK had no possibility to play the ball until the deflection… thoughts?
I agree with this, bit like Everton v man United a few years back when the Everton striker was given offside on the 6 yard box despite not actually impacting or interfering with the play or ability of the keeper to make a save

I’d love to know more about how the powers that be assess plays like this. I get that, ultimately, the protocol is technically correct. However, I’d really like to see at least a verbal note in an assessment saying, “Hold on, you really should have flagged it early because it’s so obvious.”
The protocol is actually not followed correctly and the AR should be marked down. Delayed flag should happen on 'close' offsides only. This was not close by any definition.

It will prob take an avoidable SFP send off due to a incorrectly delayed flag in a high profile game for authorities to pay more attention to this issue.

Back