A&H

New kit help

antsherratt

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I have recently passed my basic referees course and am now required to buy all my kit and necessary items, whistle etc. I have been recommended A & H international and their own brand of kit is relatively cheap so this is looking the likely option so far. Does anyone have any ideas as to anywhere else I could purchase kit for relatively cheap? Also, after looking at whistles I have decided on getting a fox 40. Is there any specific type that will be suited to me as a new referee, and I will only be doing junior football at the moment.

Thank you in advance :D

Anthony

The Referee Store
Apparently the quality of the A&H Kit is poor - "Got it this weekend. Feels like a t shirt and the shorts have no stretch in them at all. Not confident it would be any good in a match so sending it back!", @DanRicketts . Otherwise, the RA kit, http://www.sportingtouch.com/en/119-referees-association. That was my first kit, and it was fine for the job. Also, maybe if you looked for a cheap kit from this season, maybe if you waited till Summer, I'm sure many will go up on eBay.

For the whistle, I would recommend the Fox 40 Classic. Many referees use this, very easy to use, and I would recommend this.

Thanks Jojo.
regarding the RA kit which I think I'll go for now, is it worth paying extra for the logo and badges on the shirt?
Thank you :)

My first kit was the Umbro Respect. It's even cheaper now than it used to be, but they've only got a few sizes left so it's worth getting if they have your size - I'd definitely get it at that price.

http://referee-equipment.co.uk/Catalogue/Referee-Kit/Umbro-Respect---The-Premier-League-Referee-Kit
That is a great shout actually, forgot about that.

With the badges, if you were going to get any badges I would say get the FAMOA badge, but you could sew one of these on yourself.

The fox classic is a great choice. Solid whistle.

Kit wise, get something which will last the season at least. Some county referee associations offer kits at discount which might be worth checking out? Otherwise the nike kits is solid as is the Umbro diamond kit. Other than that I can't comment.

Wait a couple of days and I'll have some fox 40's in stock. :D

Hi Ant, after sending the AH kit back I got the RA premium starter kit. They are free shipping at the moment and if you ring up they will swap the whistle for a Fox 40 and keep the shipping free. Also delivery is overnight, I rang at 4pm and it came at 11am next day!

For a whistle a Fox 40 or ACME T2000 are solid choices, personally I would get a Fox 40. As for kit, the RA kit is a good starter kit to have. My first kit was an adidas one that I actually still have. The Nike kit off A&H is a solid choice of kit if you're sticking at refereeing as is the Umbro Diamond if they've got your size. Just one thing, if you buy a cheap kit like the Prostar kit they will fall apart and look cheap and nasty quite quick.

+1

I have had the umbro diamond since the beginning of last season. Still looks smart, not faded. Very nice kit if you get it cheap and seems it will last.

Hi Dan, do you need to ring up and ask for free shipping in order to get it? I went to buy the RA kit and I only have options of either collecting in store or shipping with an £8.95 charge.

I just checked with my PC as sometimes phones don't tell the truth...The RA starter packs are free shipping (there's a little tag in the corner of the images and a watermark across them) but if you just buy kit it is not free shipping.

When I rang I said something like "Hi, I was looking to buy the RA premium short sleeve ref kit starter bundle but I was wondering if I can swap the whistle in it for a Fox 40 instead? Will that still qualify for free shipping? Ok brilliant thanks!" Be sure to give them your email address so they can send you a confirmation with the tracking number on it. They will also do badging but I didn't get it as I was in a hurry to the get the kit.

The cards in the pack are ok (just card) but the wallet and match pads are really good. I didn't get the flags as I found better and cheaper on Amazon.

Hope that helps you!

Cheers mate, just ordered that RA starter kit, excellent value at under £40! Thanks for all the help everyone :D

Back