A&H

New Penalty Kick Signal for ARs

Jordan Lockwood

Level 6 Referee
What do we think of the new 'guidelines'?

IMO the FA guidelines contradict themselves and to be honest they don't make sense.

REASON FOR DISCONTINUATION OF OLD SIGNAL:
"Use of the signal draws unnecessary attention to the assistant referee which can create dissent and management problems. It also potentially creates conflict if used at the same time as the referee is indicating/deciding not to award a penalty kick."

NEW SIGNAL:
"- the assistant referee should raise the flag in the same hand that will be used for the remainder of the signal and agitate/wave the flag to indicate a foul has been committed"

Either way, EVERYONE knows that the AR has made the decision, so how does this eliminate any dissent or management issues? Also, it doesn't remove 'conflict if used at the same time as the referee is deciding not to award a PK.'

Thoughts....?

The Referee Store
There is no "old" or "new" as the "old" implies that it was something that has been changed - but accross the chest was never an official thing to begin with.

So the discussion should be about the new definition and guidelines on the current approved signal.

Firt ref I lined for said "and if i see you putting your flag accreoss your chest i'll stick it where the sone don't shine." and that was 4 years ago.

Official or not, the 'old' signal I referred to was used by ARs at all levels of football, leading the FA to issue the statement regarding it along with guidelines as to the signal that should be adopted from now forward.

Which leads me back to the point that the 'problems' they say are attached to the 'old' (unofficial) signal, are still existant under the new guidelines.

There is no "old" or "new" as the "old" implies that it was something that has been changed - but accross the chest was never an official thing to begin with.

So the discussion should be about the new definition and guidelines on the current approved signal.

Firt ref I lined for said "and if i see you putting your flag accreoss your chest i'll stick it where the sone don't shine." and that was 4 years ago.
I still prefer the old one

I've done 4 county league lines this season and I've asked all the refs about which signal they wanted (3 L5's 1 L4) all wanted flag across the chest. I'm not fussed either way, but to catch up with the rest of the world I'd happily ditch the chest one

You'd no doubt have different instruction with a man in the stands.
I'd suggest that like it or not you use the "new" signal. The players already know about it and it still brings them down on you when you give one.

Even if being assessed, rarely are the assistants assessed, it's the middle man that gets the comments or praise. If you do "poorly" it must be down to his poor briefing (assuming that they are good enough to put a brief togeher targeted at the ability and understanding of the NAR).

Even if being assessed, rarely are the assistants assessed, it's the middle man that gets the comments or praise. If you do "poorly" it must be down to his poor briefing (assuming that they are good enough to put a brief togeher targeted at the ability and understanding of the NAR).
HRW again being assessed comes down to referee level also as 4s and above on the line are, 5-4 promotion are also and the referee on all my matches marks the assistant too
so in your own hand be it

Had a western league line the other night, L4 ref in the middle and he was the first ref so far out of my 6 other lines I've done that wanted the signal used. And within the first 3 mins the other AR was flagging the new signal for a pen, Q confusion for about 15 secs!

I think any signal from the AR draws attention to them, so the FA making an official signal makes sense.

We have never used the "cross the chest" signal. It works just fine. Don't be afraid of change, fella ;)

Back