A&H

New ref, hello!

woodsig

Good evening all

As of Sunday I will have finished my course and enter the footballing world as a ref!

Any advice regarding where to start with LOTG would be great, I have the book and I have barely got into it. Besides that, before I start my 5 trainee games I was thinking of going down to a local Sunday league match to see how and what the ref does in scenarios. Would this be worthwhile?

Looking forward to posting more!

woodsig

The Referee Store
Welcome!

I'd start with law 1 and work your way through. Law 11, 12 & 13 I would say are the most relevant to the 90 minutes.
Do 1 or 2 laws each evening. Then test your knowledge at areferee.com. not always accurate but mostly close enough.

Going and watvhing an experienced referee is a great idea.

...what he said... and I recommend working as an AR.. it is a great way to learn about refereeing, a real accelerator I think;)

Welcome. Enjoy.

I echo what the others said around the laws.

Also try and watch as much football as you can and watch the referee as much as possible. Start thinking on fouls careless, reckless or excessive even in games you are watching

Welcome
Start with Laws 5 and 12. Watch as much football as you can. See if you agree/ disagree with the referees decisions and why. Most important is make your own decisions that are correct in Law. Have fun, and good luck!

Well I made it out of the referee course alive :angel:

Now how do I go about looking for a game? Is it all on the Whole Game system? I’m 24 and I don’t play for a club anymore! How can I also look at getting games as an AR? I don’t believe the FA Whole Game tailor for AR matches?

Well I made it out of the referee course alive :angel:

Now how do I go about looking for a game? Is it all on the Whole Game system? I’m 24 and I don’t play for a club anymore! How can I also look at getting games as an AR? I don’t believe the FA Whole Game tailor for AR matches?

It varies by region. Some counties have central appointment schemes where the county office make appointments for all grassroots leagues, others don't and each league have their own Referees Secretary. Speak to your RDO who should be able to advise suitable leagues assuming they don't centrally appoint.

Back