A&H

New ref

Tommo90

Hi everyone,
Just had an email from West Riding FA that courses are back on in the new format. I completed Safeguarding and Laws of the game online and starting 2 days course in September. I am looking forward to it. I would appreciate your expertise and advise. Seen some great topics on the forum already. Is there anything else I need to be aware of once the full course is completed? I know I must ref 5 games in order to get signed off. I've seen some topics about fitness test. What should I expect please? I consider myself fit and doing occasional jogging but I would rather be prepared. Cheers

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Hiya Tommo,

Can't help you out with expectations, been over a decade since I went on the course! I'm also West riding though, based in north Leeds. Where abouts are you??

Hiya Tommo,

Can't help you out with expectations, been over a decade since I went on the course! I'm also West riding though, based in north Leeds. Where abouts are you??
Hi. Im from Morley so hoping there is plenty games round here to get some experience as was living and playing footy in Wakefield in the past. Dont know area and local leagues very well yet.

There will be mate, I'm not familiar with those leagues but if your struggling for games let me know and I'll help you out

Thank you, appreciate that. Someone who works with me is a referee with 6 years experience around Huddersfield/Bradford area and also offered some guidance so hoping ill have a good start. I'll be visiting ref chat daily for the tips :)

Reactions: es1
Hi everyone,
Just had an email from West Riding FA that courses are back on in the new format. I completed Safeguarding and Laws of the game online and starting 2 days course in September. I am looking forward to it. I would appreciate your expertise and advise. Seen some great topics on the forum already. Is there anything else I need to be aware of once the full course is completed? I know I must ref 5 games in order to get signed off. I've seen some topics about fitness test. What should I expect please? I consider myself fit and doing occasional jogging but I would rather be prepared. Cheers

Fitness test is for level 4 referees and above so no need to worry about that. Yes it's 5 games but my advice to you based on my experience is don't just rely on the very busy Referee Development Officer to get you games, email your local leagues as soon as you've taken the course and let them know you're available and start to make your own network.

Fitness test is for level 4 referees and above so no need to worry about that. Yes it's 5 games but my advice to you based on my experience is don't just rely on the very busy Referee Development Officer to get you games, email your local leagues as soon as you've taken the course and let them know you're available and start to make your own network.
Thanks Ben. Definitely something I bear in mind!

Try looking on Facebook for leagues in your area. Up here in North Tyneside i can easily get myself 3 games on a weekend by looking on Facebook on a Wednesday/Thursday evening.
Another option is to register with a football club, a local club (who have 20 teams) often get in touch pre-season to book me in for August friendlies and September for league games. Once they know that you are reliable then they will get in touch more frequently.

That reminds me, there's a Yorkshire refs Facebook group run by a guy called Colin woods, get yourself on that!

Try looking on Facebook for leagues in your area. Up here in North Tyneside i can easily get myself 3 games on a weekend by looking on Facebook on a Wednesday/Thursday evening.
Another option is to register with a football club, a local club (who have 20 teams) often get in touch pre-season to book me in for August friendlies and September for league games. Once they know that you are reliable then they will get in touch more frequently.
Thank you, just found the group and asked to join. Nice one!

Can you also recommend best website for kits and all the equipment needed? I'm waiting to get some stuff before course starts so I'm ready to go once completed. Cheers

Back