A&H

New Referee (Hopefully)

Connor Ward

Hi Folks.

All set to start my referee course up in Aberdeen in October. Always wanted to do it and decided to bite the bullet and can't wait to get started.

Been looking through the various forums and have found it all very helpful.

If anybody has any tips or bits of advice for me to do prior to starting my course that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Connor

The Referee Store
My main tip would be to learn your LOTG before you turn up. They'll answer any specific questions you have but the course isn't about teaching the laws, it's about how to apply them and practical refereeing.

My main tip would be to learn your LOTG before you turn up. They'll answer any specific questions you have but the course isn't about teaching the laws, it's about how to apply them and practical refereeing.

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading the LOTG and also plan to go to a few juvenile and amateur games to see how it's done.
Just wondering after the course, how long does it take to referee your first game and what sort of games will I get to begin with?

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading the LOTG and also plan to go to a few juvenile and amateur games to see how it's done.
Just wondering after the course, how long does it take to referee your first game and what sort of games will I get to begin with?
You should expect to be supplied a list of local leagues and if you ask one of your tutors, they'll probably be able to tell you which is most local to you. If you're super lucky, they might even be able to tell you a bit more about the leagues and if they'll be good starter leagues.

Once you've identified which league you want to referee with, it'll be then up to you to make contact with the league. Tell them you're newly qualified and what your availability is - I wouldn't be surprised if you can expect to get games in their lower divisions as soon as you make yourself available, most grassroots leagues have a shortage of referees and even more so if you're going to start at youth level.

Buy the latest new kit, apparently its a guaranteed favourite of the promotion committee!!! You have be too smart these days!! :rolleyes:

Approach your county FA for the details of a mentor and use them to provide feedback on your early games and any further advice they can give

I am an observer/assessor and without doubt the same thing pops up from the teams when I am the observer, they know you are a new ref but please learn the LOTG and the players will respect. IF YOU CAN, man manage players, they are not all the same. As Paul say's get help from a senior referee,this will give you confidence and advice. Dress the part, helps a lot.

Back