A&H

Newport - Mansfield

JH

RefChat Addict

He got the yellow out but he's wrong in my book. Anybody agree with caution?

Penalty given for this challenge, one of those where the attacker has played the ball onto the challenge rather than the challenge getting the ball, thoughts?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I think the first one is spot on, not 100% sure attacker is getting the ball.

After watching again has he booked the attacker for a dive ?

Second one at full speed just thought it didn't quite look like a penalty but after 4-5 replays im not sure, very tough one that and could go with either decision, keeper does wiper him out no question about that.

Red for the first one but I can see why the ref went yellow. From his position he can't have been sure who was getting to that ball first, probably needed some guidance from his AR.

and penalty for me as well. Looks like the keeper may have got a slight touch but real time it would have been tough to spot, but I'd consider that to be careless for the keeper

Not totally convinced the attacker doesn't go down with minimal/no contact for the first, but once you've given the foul anything other than red is a bottle job.

Second one looks like a clean tackle on the replay from the reverse angle, but you'd have to be both incredibly fit and fast to be anywhere close to a position where you have a chance of spotting it. Easy to see why you'd give a penalty.

I think there is a real chance the keeper is getting the ball before the attacker so I can see why he went yellow.

No problem with the penalty, the attacker gets to the ball first, the keeper then gets the slightest of touches and then completely wipes out the attacker. Glancing the ball doesn't then mean it is OK to flatten the opponent these days.

There's probably 50 - 100ms between the attacker's touch and the keeper's save. So who was careless? Very difficult to call in real time, there's plenty of doubt; and i have a pet hate for guessing penalty awards

Had a game recently in which i gave a penalty a piece to the two teams. I was 70/30 on both and neither sat well with me in the car on the way home. At least once i set the bar, I was consistent. First time I've doubted myself on the award of a spot kick and they were like London Buses. I don't like London buses

@Sheffields Finest , you've let us down on this one, you big Nancy

1557516520289.png

The question you have to ask is: 'would the attacker get to the ball first without the foul?' The foul has already started and is slowing him down, I have little doubt he is winning the race, the keeper collects the ball a few yards inside the pa.

There's probably 50 - 100ms between the attacker's touch and the keeper's save. So who was careless? Very difficult to call in real time, there's plenty of doubt; and i have a pet hate for guessing penalty awards

Had a game recently in which i gave a penalty a piece to the two teams. I was 70/30 on both and neither sat well with me in the car on the way home. At least once i set the bar, I was consistent. First time I've doubted myself on the award of a spot kick and they were like London Buses. I don't like London buses

@Sheffields Finest , you've let us down on this one, you big Nancy

Its a penalty, give them windows a wipe @Big Cat :cool:

The question you have to ask is: 'would the attacker get to the ball first without the foul?' The foul has already started and is slowing him down, I have little doubt he is winning the race, the keeper collects the ball a few yards inside the pa.

I don't know the still pic shows anything, as the pace of the ball is lost (I can't access sky videos from the US). But note the R has not entered the pic, so he's got a horrible angle for determining how likely the attacker would have been to keep/regain that ball--would have needed help from the AR, I think, to make a DOGSO call.

I don't know the still pic shows anything, as the pace of the ball is lost (I can't access sky videos from the US). But note the R has not entered the pic, so he's got a horrible angle for determining how likely the attacker would have been to keep/regain that ball--would have needed help from the AR, I think, to make a DOGSO call.
That's why I included where the goalkeeper collected the ball, to give a sense of speed. It's not black and white but my opinion is red card.

That's why I included where the goalkeeper collected the ball, to give a sense of speed. It's not black and white but my opinion is red card.

As I noted, I can't watch, so I don't have an opinion on the specific play.

There was a similar play recently with VAR (I think it was MLS, but might have been Australia), where the R initially went yellow,and let VAR know that the factor he didn't have was likelihood to get to the ball. As I recall, like this one, he didn't have a great angle to see how likely the attacker was to get there first. VAR looked, recommended OFR, and the caution was changed to a red. Without VAR, I'd think he could get help from the AR, but I don't know how likely Rs are to do that rather than going with their own instinct on a play like this.

Personally from the side on video, I'd be going red for the first offence.

Penalty is an easy one, yes, he won the ball etc, but he still wiped the attacker out. Wonder if anyone would think differently if the keeper caught the ball there?

Back