A&H

No interference at offside

Trueman1991

Level 5 Referee
I had an assessment last week. During the match a player crossed the ball towards a player in an offside position, the CAR flagged but the ball was intercepted by a defender and the attacker didn't influence the defender. The defender then cleared the ball straight to an attacker and they attacked again.

This led to a number of complaints from the defending team. The assessor said whilst I was correct, the quality of the team meant they would benefit more from a IFK.

Ive had this scenario a few times, sometimes as an AR there's a ball over the top, player obviously offside but it runs to the goal keeper. Again defenders complain that I've missed an obvious offside.

What does everyone else do at grassroots level? Accept they the team would probably prefer a IFK and give it or play to the laws?

Worth noting that I always tell the captains that I'll wait for the interference at offsides and advise that they tell their team to play to the whistle.

The Referee Store
I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong. The team would benefit for an IDK but there’s nothing to merit giving them one! Can’t make up offenses.

I find a quick shout of ‘he’s in an offside position but hasn’t interfered’ quietens things down quickly

This makes my head hurt. The assessor wants you to give a FK when no offence occurred???

Comments like this are why players/coaches don't understand OS--too many referees (and apparently assessors?!?!?) won't apply the current laws and are stuck in the past. (Of course they would "prefer" an IFK--but what the heck does that have to do with anything if there was not an OS offense????)

This makes my head hurt. The assessor wants you to give a FK when no offence occurred???

Comments like this are why players/coaches don't understand OS--too many referees (and apparently assessors?!?!?) won't apply the current laws and are stuck in the past. (Of course they would "prefer" an IFK--but what the heck does that have to do with anything if there was not an OS offense????)
The assessor said I was correct (nothing was included in the report about it), he just said it may have been smarter refereeing to give an IFK. The defending team were losing heavily and their heads weren't in the game.

It certainly sounds like you made the correct call at the time
I do understand the assessor though, sometimes (and in no way is it a get out clause), its sensible to give the obvious decision, esp I suppose when you have CAR, you at least have their flag to fall back on and nobody can really complain

I do not want to sound controversial but its unwritten common practise to, give the other team a decision, say a team that's on your back, 6-0 down and a clash ball at a goal kick/corner kick, simply give them the goal kick, and get on with the game. Its sensible, safe refereeing.

That said, if you do wish to referee on a principle of getting every call correct in law, there is certainly no argument with that either.

It is not 'smart refereeing' to make the game easier for yourself by not applying the law but harder for next week's ref. The best description I can come up with is either selfish or lazy refereeing.

It certainly sounds like you made the correct call at the time
I do understand the assessor though, sometimes (and in no way is it a get out clause), its sensible to give the obvious decision, esp I suppose when you have CAR, you at least have their flag to fall back on and nobody can really complain

I do not want to sound controversial but its unwritten common practise to, give the other team a decision, say a team that's on your back, 6-0 down and a clash ball at a goal kick/corner kick, simply give them the goal kick, and get on with the game. Its sensible, safe refereeing.

That said, if you do wish to referee on a principle of getting every call correct in law, there is certainly no argument with that either.
I agree. Sometimes, just 'give the decision that football expects'. I'm on the line at step 6 this afternoon and will apply the offside law to the letter. Tomorrow I'm in the middle with CARs. Different kettle of fish

Back