A&H

Non-LOTG signals

one

RefChat Addict
After seeing a referee signal like an upside-down windscreen wiper to indicate offside, I thought what other non-LOTG signals are used to communicate common situations. I can think of many as below.

While some of theses have pretty standard international signals some are done differently. What do you do to signal these or other ones? What’s your favourite?
  • Offside
  • Calm down
  • It wasn’t a foul
  • It wasn’t a goal
  • No more of it from you
  • Move along and get on with the game
  • Move away from me
  • Come to me
  • Substitution request acknowledgement
  • Hurry it up (on a restart)
  • It’s a throw-in
  • Persistent infringement
  • And my favourite, a smile, if used effectively is the best tool for match control.
  • My least favourite, the pointing to the stands/car park to send a player off. There is a good chance that it could make a bad situation worse.

The Referee Store
There are a few more
  • Climbing
  • The shirt pull
  • Diving - I love that - we call it the Gerbil
  • The elbow
  • The Eric Bristow - i.e. the issuing of a card with an extended little finger
  • The hug from behind
  • The helicopter - at the start to signal change of ends
I agree with the extra red card signal being the worst. A player knows where to go when they have been sent off. I never do the extra 'Get off' signal as I think it is inflammatory.

I also think that it is really important to communicate to all players and spectators what you are giving although as you progress up the ladder I hear discouragement from assessors from making physical signals.

Did a game this weekend as AR1 and the referee had to use the "extra red card" signal on a player. She was more interested in lounging on her team bench than bothering to leave the FOP and its surroundings.

Also, communicating with players? Important.
Communicating with spectators? Not so much.

I used to use the 'extra red card' signal at L4 (in stadiums with tunnels). I would never do it at parks level where there's no tunnel/changing room etc.

Back