A&H

Not doing that again......

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
In the Sunday League i ref in the teams have to give us team sheets. I always ask if the names and shirt numbers correspond together and the reply is always yes. So if i have to caution/send off any player during the match i just write the shirt number (and time) on my match card,then use the team sheet to get the name.
So for the first time, today, i get a call from my F.A. stating the match i done last Sunday the U18 player i sent off, his manager is stating i got the wrong name. I told the discipline secretary that the team sheet i was given confirms the name and shirt number(i have emailed them a copy of both) I will make sure i take the name from the player from now on.
Just a coincidence it was the manager's son i sent off though.....................

The Referee Store
In the Sunday League i ref in the teams have to give us team sheets. I always ask if the names and shirt numbers correspond together and the reply is always yes. So if i have to caution/send off any player during the match i just write the shirt number (and time) on my match card,then use the team sheet to get the name.
So for the first time, today, i get a call from my F.A. stating the match i done last Sunday the U18 player i sent off, his manager is stating i got the wrong name. I told the discipline secretary that the team sheet i was given confirms the name and shirt number(i have emailed them a copy of both) I will make sure i take the name from the player from now on.
Just a coincidence it was the manager's son i sent off though.....................
And here endeth the lesson... we do things the way we do them for a reason. You can't trust the players or the club officials on administration that will affect your reporting. Make sure you get the required and correct information

And here endeth the lesson... we do things the way we do them for a reason. You can't trust the players or the club officials on administration that will affect your reporting. Make sure you get the required and correct information
Totally agree...............

Not sure why you wouldn't ask the name anyway??

Personally in games with team sheets I only write the number of a caution in case there is a second, just rely on the name otherwise.

Also may help to highlight a ringer situation if player forgets his name.

Not sure why you wouldn't ask the name anyway??

Personally in games with team sheets I only write the number of a caution in case there is a second, just rely on the name otherwise.

Also may help to highlight a ringer situation if player forgets his name.
I'm not saying @mikedn is one of these referees but I absolutely hate to see grassroots referees flashing their yellow card and scribbling the player number on the card or expecting their ARs to get the numbers for them and then checking them off against the teamsheet. It can only bite you on the bum!

I'm not saying @mikedn is one of these referees but I absolutely hate to see grassroots referees flashing their yellow card and scribbling the player number on the card or expecting their ARs to get the numbers for them and then checking them off against the teamsheet. It can only bite you on the bum!

One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given in relation to caution technique was to always ask the spelling of a players' name.

It slows the game down, gives you chance to diffuse any potential heated situations.....and has the added benefit of knowing you have the right player.

That said I did once ask a player called Tom Ball to spell his name, he looked at me like I had 5 heads :alien::eek::confused:

One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given in relation to caution technique was to always ask the spelling of a players' name.

It slows the game down, gives you chance to diffuse any potential heated situations.....and has the added benefit of knowing you have the right player.

That said I did once ask a player called Tom Ball to spell his name, he looked at me like I had 5 heads :alien::eek::confused:
I always do this.
One of the things we learn as we become more experienced, is when we need to slow the whole thing down.
This is a good way.

That's pretty much how the rest of the world does it and it works well :p

Back