A&H

Junior/Youth Not had a good game today

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
I feel like I've became last week ref.
Blue vs Red, match control was always in hand, let the game flow. First half around the 20th minute, blue striker with ball making a run, red GK try to grab ball at edge, scuffs it and takes down blue striker, ball cleared, I give FK. As I position myself, I can see where the GK slid, well outside the PA, missed chance to an easy sell red.
10th minutes second half, blue striker gets a belter through ball, red defender 5 yards behind him, enters PA, and gets pushed from behind, clear DOGSO, I'm thinking red as award the penalty, then most blue and red arguing with me, quick blows with my sonik blast, everyone quietens, and I lost the offending player, no red.
So I've lost another easy sell red chance. After penalty, call both captains, and warn them that I will not allow anymore shenanigans. After that game quiet end down again.
So I put my hands up, and I apologise in advance to my colleague that will take their next game.

The Referee Store
You are not last week's ref. LWR delivberately chooses not to apply certain laws for his own benefit, you just made a couple of mistakes that have happened to all of us.

Losing an offender is one of the worst things to happen to you, we've all been there and as long as you learn the technique to avoid a repeat you'll be fine.

I feel like I've became last week ref.
Blue vs Red, match control was always in hand, let the game flow. First half around the 20th minute, blue striker with ball making a run, red GK try to grab ball at edge, scuffs it and takes down blue striker, ball cleared, I give FK. As I position myself, I can see where the GK slid, well outside the PA, missed chance to an easy sell red.
10th minutes second half, blue striker gets a belter through ball, red defender 5 yards behind him, enters PA, and gets pushed from behind, clear DOGSO, I'm thinking red as award the penalty, then most blue and red arguing with me, quick blows with my sonik blast, everyone quietens, and I lost the offending player, no red.
So I've lost another easy sell red chance. After penalty, call both captains, and warn them that I will not allow anymore shenanigans. After that game quiet end down again.
So I put my hands up, and I apologise in advance to my colleague that will take their next game.
Firstly @Phonesurgeon why are you so eager to dish out red cards ?
Secondly if the keeper has come out and taken the striker out ? I assume there are no defenders nearby and he has DOGSO by taking the striker out ? making the PA irrelevant ? and at best the offence should be a yellow card ?

That s the picture you have painted in my mind ? please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Doesn't sound that bad. But I do echo the above that you mostly seem sorry/sad that you missed the chance to give out some red cards, which I'm pretty sure isn't quite what reffing is about.

When you say you had a dozen players arguing with you, what do you mean? I take it one set was arguing it shouldn't have been a penalty, but what about the others?

@Beezer the first incident wasn't a DOGSO, there were 2 more reds an one blue about... The keeper went down to block by hand, and I couldn't be certain if it was inside PA or not. When I got to the spot, the slide the keeper made was at least 2 foot out the PA. So handball by keeper outside the PA.
@frank_ref red were appealing for offside, which blue wasn't, blue arguing with red saying its a clear penalty.
Just to clarify, I don't want to use cards, but if my step approach doesn't seem to work, or like in this case clear DOGSO, then I don't think you have much choice? Correct me if I am wrong.

Fair enough mate .......Clarified .....cheers ,but don't put yourself down for making a judgment error..... we all do it

@Beezer the first incident wasn't a DOGSO, there were 2 more reds an one blue about... The keeper went down to block by hand, and I couldn't be certain if it was inside PA or not. When I got to the spot, the slide the keeper made was at least 2 foot out the PA. So handball by keeper outside the PA.

Still don't get why you thought you missed an easy red?

If it wasn't DOGSO the fact the keeper handled outside area wouldn't have needed a red to be issued anyway?

You're not last week's ref...you seem to have made a genuine error. There's a difference.

Don't beat yourself up about it and I absolutely guarantee you won't lose the offender next time! :)

For what it's worth you may or may not have got two incidents spot on. You didn't do it to have a quiet life or shirking your responsibility.
I always have a reflective journal now and spend time identifying good performance areas and also those needing improvement. It sounds that this is all that is needed here, what could you have done to prevent it, was it a positional error, how did the offending player disappear etc.

A mistake is a mistake, I'm not sure there'll be a day when I don't make at least one small one.

But that isn't last weeks ref though.

Why would that make it DOGSO, when as you said there were another 2 defenders in a position to stop the attacker?

So what was the foul for - the trip on the striker, or the deliberate handling? I'd really like to get right down into the details here, because I want to make sure you're looking at these incidents with the right mindset. It sounds like you made the right decision in the end, but the reasoning behind the decision is more important.

@frank_ref red were appealing for offside, which blue wasn't, blue arguing with red saying its a clear penalty.
Just to clarify, I don't want to use cards, but if my step approach doesn't seem to work, or like in this case clear DOGSO, then I don't think you have much choice? Correct me if I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely correct. Stepped approach doesn't apply to mandatory offences.
I've had the same thing, lost the player that was supposed to be sent off.
When you're awarding a Penalty Kick, one thing we used to get taught in Australia was to move into a position, just off the field, past the goal line. Maybe around the edge of the Goal Area. That way, you've put all the players in front of you, so they're not running from all directions at you. Seems to make them a bit easier to control, especially as you're telling them to go away. Also mean you have full view of the field in case there's any retaliation.
When you're going to book a player, most important thing is to identify him. If there's problems with players mobbing you, blow your whistle and pull that player off to the side as you're walking away from the point of incident. He should come with you. try to identify him - hair colour, shoes, anything that stands out. Grab your notepad and scribble down his number before you forget. Then get rid of the dissenting players (cautioning as appropriate), and deal with the red card.

Thanks guys your input is appreciated.
After every game I usually self analyze my own performance, and on some games my wife comes along and she offer her views.
I'll be working on my positioning, and my laws knowledge.

When you're going to book a player, most important thing is to identify him. If there's problems with players mobbing you, blow your whistle and pull that player off to the side as you're walking away from the point of incident. He should come with you. try to identify him - hair colour, shoes, anything that stands out. Grab your notepad and scribble down his number before you forget. Then get rid of the dissenting players (cautioning as appropriate), and deal with the red card.
As the Capn says, the most important thing is to identify the original offender. If the players know straight away that you're going to deal with the offence then this can help calm the situation down, and may stop it escalating in the first place, making it less likely that you lose him.

I find that hitting the whistle and shouting "yes please 7!" (or whatever number) acts both to show players that I'm dealing with it, but also as a mnemonic so I remember the player involved. If you say the number out loud then you are more likely to remember it. Also, it shows the player that you've got his number and there's no use trying to hide, so he's less likely to try to get away. I would resist writing his number down if possible, because the first punch will be thrown while you are looking in your book, and you will only get the retaliation.
If you can, try to take him to neutral territory as quickly as possible, before turning back to face any players coming towards you. That way, it's easier to tell them to move away, and any players who come to you are making the caution easier because they're chasing you.

If it's already starting to kick off then that is harder to do, but in that case try to get him next to you while this is happening, and always keep calm. If there's a lot of players around and they're all involved, I find that a long, REALLY strong blast of my Fox 40 stops all that stone cold, and I can then tell the players to move away or they will be cautioned. Try not to blow it in the face of the guy you want near you! He's the only one who doesn't have any choice but to be there, while the rest aren't necessary so if they are deaf then that's their fault.

To reiterate, you're not last week's ref. He knows that the player has to go but doesn't do it because he can't be bothered, not because he loses the relevant player.

Back