A&H

Not so friendly friendly

Scottybee

Level 7 Referee
Could use some advice pls all,

Turned up to watch my sons U16s team play a pre season away friendly (Div 3 vs Div 2)
The ref was a no show so I reluctantly agreed to do it (had my kit bag in car). Although I’ve always thought reffing a game with your kids in is not ideal we pressed on.

Away team playing decent football and home team struggling to match them so spent their time disrupting play and getting themselves frustrated.

28th minute I sinbin a home player

88th minute I turn down home team appeals for a foul and their player nearest me says “he’s racist” I pretty sure it’s directed at me but not 100% sure so I have a word and warn him to be very careful using that sort of language.

FT 1 - 4

On the Whistle same player accuses me of “obviously being racist” loudly and very publicly twice whilst his coach is trying to shut him up so I show him a Red for Offinabus.

For context away team all white players, home team all Asian players.

My Question - is there any point in reporting this to county FA, would they be at all interested in conduct like this in a friendly?
His coach said he’d talk to him about it but it feels like the player will learn nothing from this incident if I don’t.

Am I being last weeks Ref by just letting it slide?

The Referee Store
is there any point in reporting this to county FA, would they be at all interested in conduct like this in a friendly?
That should not be your concern. As a referee you should report any misconduct. If the lad is back in next week's game and does it to the next referee, it will not be on you, it will be on the league.

His coach said he’d talk to him about it
Good on him.

but it feels like the player will learn nothing from this incident if I don’t.
Gut instinct is wonderful :)

Am I being last weeks Ref by just letting it slide?
YES

I wasn’t there this week but a boy on my grandsons team was threatened after the game and was struck by a plastic bottle... they are SIX.... give me strength!

I've said it before, 'being falsely branded a racist, is as bad or sometimes worse, than being racist itself'. I'd therefore be submitting an ER to accompany the S6
Although I doubt the CFA would agree with me on this

Last edited:
Back