A&H

Odds

jojo

Assistant World Cup Sweepstake Organiser
Level 7 Referee
On the call back evening when I passed my course, they showed some odds. This was quite a few months ago, but I thought of the odds again the other day, and thought that it was interesting, and that I would share them.

I can't exactly remember what it was, whether it was they made it professionally, or made a living of it.
But, the odds were that out of every 50,000 football players, one made it professionally or made a living out of it, and out of every 93 referees, one made it professionally or made a living out of it. I think it was made it professionally, but can't remember.

Anyway, the odds are in favour of referees!

The Referee Store
Not sure about those numbers - correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there 16 professional referees in the UK? Which would suggest that there are only 1,488 referees in total?

And that's not even taking into account other countries - for example in all of the Oceania federation + Australia there are 0 professional referees (in fact I'm not sure about now, but when Mark Shield was Director of Referees for the A-League, he was only employed part time).

I believe that those number are for the UK only.

And by professional, I think that means referees that referee on the Premier League, Championship, League 1, League 2, and possibly even the conference levels. I think it is nationally, which is why it would be Level 1 referees.

As I said, I can't remember the exact words, just the figures!

Ah right. Well it's certainly true you have a better chance of reaching a high level as a referee. But it would be interesting to see the odds on actual professional referees, since you need to reach a higher level of the game to become a professional as a referee than as a player.

Sounds good for referees then! Aiming to be there one day!

There are 16 SG referees, 15 of whom are on full-time contracts (Jon Moss isn't, didn't want it).

The rest of the PGMOL referees (who are all Level 1), are not on full-time contracts. Conference National is refereed by Level 2A referees.

That is why I thought it was Level 1, and didn't say Level 2A, because I thought it might not have included them, because of the number of of all Level 1 and 2A officials put together.

Coming back to this, if Jon Moss is not full time, will he not receive the salary that the full time referees do?

On the call back evening when I passed my course, they showed some odds. This was quite a few months ago, but I thought of the odds again the other day, and thought that it was interesting, and that I would share them.

I can't exactly remember what it was, whether it was they made it professionally, or made a living of it.
But, the odds were that out of every 50,000 football players, one made it professionally or made a living out of it, and out of every 93 referees, one made it professionally or made a living out of it. I think it was made it professionally, but can't remember.

Anyway, the odds are in favour of referees!

Nick Levett who has led the changes to grassroots football at the FA, produced a stat that I read that 0.017% of kids who play football will earn a pro contract.

Back