A&H

Officials are awful, cannot believe we are paying for these!

SM

The avuncular one
you hear this on occasion from the uneducated masses around a football pitch. Water. Ducks back.

Yesterday was my favourite use of it.

Ladies game. No issues, no controversies. Game being played in the correct manner. Very muddy pitch.

We have about 20 throws in at the same stretch of sideline in a row. Both teams have black shorts and black socks. Between myself and the NAR we recon we got at least 2 of these the wrong way around - muddy socks scrambling for the ball on the sideline, it's messy, both teams are giving no clue as to who should have the throw in with their behaviour.

The NAR on that side hears the words:

"These officials are awful, I cannot believe we are paying for these!"

No other issues. No cards. Both managers very happy at the end.

It makes you wonder what this guy expects in terms of value for money. :D

The Referee Store
Both teams have black shorts and black socks.
Not good. Perhaps a development point for you and your team there @SM?

Guess I'm lucky up here. Most teams use a different colour sock in their starting XI which obviously helps.

Disclaimer:
There might some sarcasm or very bad humour, interspersed with valid comment in the above post.

:) It's just how it is. National level competition, officially sanctioned strips.

you hear this on occasion from the uneducated masses around a football pitch. Water. Ducks back.

Yesterday was my favourite use of it.

Ladies game. No issues, no controversies. Game being played in the correct manner. Very muddy pitch.

We have about 20 throws in at the same stretch of sideline in a row. Both teams have black shorts and black socks. Between myself and the NAR we recon we got at least 2 of these the wrong way around - muddy socks scrambling for the ball on the sideline, it's messy, both teams are giving no clue as to who should have the throw in with their behaviour.

The NAR on that side hears the words:

"These officials are awful, I cannot believe we are paying for these!"

No other issues. No cards. Both managers very happy at the end.

It makes you wonder what this guy expects in terms of value for money. :D
I love it when socks and shorts are both same colours like this and some wise guy (or girl in this case) questions it.

'Look mate, alls I know is it came off a black leg' :D

Or if one team is light blue and one dark blue, and you can't quite tell who got the last touch for a throw, you can occasionally call the players' bluff to get the right decision.

"BLUE BALL" with no action. Either buys you a few seconds or they get on with it :D

Probably but they are so ****-sure of themselves and ignore competition rules, that they don't pack it for away trips
Probably. And as the referee, you don't really want to not play over something like that......should be reported though if they don't have an alternate.
That's why it's important to know the competition rules - it may not necessarily be the away team who has to change!

:) It's just how it is. National level competition, officially sanctioned strips.

Thats interesting SM, had the same in WSL development league on Sunday, both teams in black shorts and socks, luckily one teams shorts and socks had a yellow "flash" down the side which helped.

As AR, I of course didn't get any throws wrong, although ref got one wrong I thought (on my side!) ;)

Probably. And as the referee, you don't really want to not play over something like that......should be reported though if they don't have an alternate.
That's why it's important to know the competition rules - it may not necessarily be the away team who has to change!

We're under instructions to play when there's any breach of equipment rules this season and report it after the game. It doesn't come up too often, but earlier this season a team turned up in black shirts. Luckily, I did have a change of shirt with me so the game went ahead with no issues. The team received a fine from the league if I remember rightly.

Not ideal, but it does mean that the games get played.

The coach of the "black" team even had the audacity to moan when I had to go back to the car park to get my spare shirt. :rolleyes:

We're under instructions to play when there's any breach of equipment rules this season and report it after the game. It doesn't come up too often, but earlier this season a team turned up in black shirts. Luckily, I did have a change of shirt with me so the game went ahead with no issues. The team received a fine from the league if I remember rightly.

The coach of the "black" team even had the audacity to moan when I had to go back to the car park to get my spare shirt. :rolleyes:
Hope your spare shirt was also black ;)

You've unwittingly just opened up a can of worms....

My areas have always had access to multiple shirts - even expected to have a few. Good to have that choice just to deal with the weather, even Aussie winters could hit high 20s (Celsius)!!

Some referees will wear whatever colour they like, some will try to avoid conflict by seeing what the teams are wearing first before choosing their colour (though the material of the shirt and the weather will also dictate how far the referee is willing to go!).

Had a game once where I wore black and one team had a kinda dark blue but complained it clashed. No problem, changed to a different colour at halftime. I could have made them change 'because I can', but for me it's just one way of working with the players.

Back