A&H

Offside After A Save

BrabantRef

This crazy incident happened in a match I was refereeing a couple of weeks ago and I think I made the right decision, but I am still not sure.

So, one of the attackers shoots and the GK dives towards the wrong side of the goal, but he's in luck because there's a defender who kicks the ball away right before it crosses the line. The ball hits another defender on his back and bounces towards an attacker who was in an offside position during the whole scenario, but didn't take part in the action until now. He gets the ball and scores. My question: should the goal be cancelled for offside?

The way I saw it is that the last deliberate play was by the defender who made the save on the goalline. And since it was a save the attacker was offside and the fact that the other defender got the ball on his back doesn't change that because he didn't deliberately play the ball. So in the match I cancelled the goal and awarded an IFK. There was a lot of confusion but both teams accepted the decision without too much complaining.

What do you guys think, was this the correct call?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
From your description I would say you are correct as the deliberate play by the defender on the goal line is a save therefore doesn’t reset offside and the contact of the second defender is a rebound/deflection so also does not reset offside.

A tricky one that’s for sure.

I am trying to picture this, surely if the defender is clearing the ball from his goal line then he is playing the attackers onside.

I am trying to picture this, surely if the defender is clearing the ball from his goal line then he is playing the attackers onside.
The defender was standing a little bit before the goal line and both the gk and attacker were on the goal line

But isn't GK also playing them on?

Right before crosses line made me think that defender was on the line

Defenders can make saves. If the ball was likely going into the goal, then it is a save and does not reset OS--exactly the same as when a GK makes a save.

We are discussing all but the main point of the OP (except first reply). Does a deflection of a defender after a save rest offside? Here is what the law says

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
Screenshot_20201120-073328__01.jpg

It's a rare occasion when both the conditions under gaining an advantage are met. That is, PIOP gains an advantage after it's has been saved by an a opponent AND deflected by an opponent.

It's clear any of those conditions on its own makes it an offside offence. For me, the intent of the law is, if both conditions occured, it's also offside.

One that happened last year js free kick is saved by the GK, goes off bar, post, deflects off defender to attacker that was offside when the shot was taken. Good offside call and to my surprise no complaints once it was explained

You are correct, this is offside.

The defender on the goalline made a save; the other defender did not play the ball, but it did rebound off of him. Neither of these incidents resets the offside consideration and the attacker is offside.

Back