A&H

One down, four to go .....

Russell Jones

RefChat Addict
Got in early and had my first 5 to 4 assessment last weekend. Reckon the 25 degree heat gave me a decent shout at demonstrating my fitness at least but was a bit of a gamble as this was my first middle at Step 6.

Started with a 73 which I'm pretty happy with. Keeps me in the game at least! Praised for my match control, my judicious playing of advantage and for my sprinting / credible positioning. Picked up (rightly) on missing a couple of flags from my assistants (one for a 'surprising' offside and one for a GK taken from beyond the line). Also, probably fairly, for too little variation in whistle tone and,a little unfairly IMO, for my assistants missing two kit infringements which I subsequently rectified.

Hopefully future games will afford more opportunity to perform in a challenging environment. Very aware from the experiences of others on here that even averaging 73 is no guarantee of progression these days ....

The Referee Store
@Russell Jones - remember it is the simple things which tend to cost you dear at 5-4. Get these rights and the marks will follow.

Ensure cautions are done properly and when required. The penalty of 1/2 mark costs 2.5 with the multiplication factor.

Reasonable start, learn from and progress.

Thanks @lincs22 , sage advice. Whilst getting the marks and progressing are important to me (especially given that I'm twice the age of most of my fellow promotion cadidates!), the thing that pleased me most was being recognised for my Match Control .. not something I in any way took for granted given that this was a step up from my previous middles. Another appointment in the books for this Saturday but thought I'd give the observers a week off :)

Back