A&H

Oops (small one)

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
made a mistake today in a cup match. More technical/interesting than a KMI problem.

After awarding an offside blue keeper is taking the IDFK from inside the penalty area. He kicked it a short distance and plays it again. I blew for IDFK and everyone on the pitch was happy with that and the keeper apologised to his teammates. After organising the IDFK (which ended with a goal kick) and running back up field it hit me that the ball isn't in play until it leaves the area so it probably wasn't actually an offence to play it twice but I wasn't sure....just re-read the laws and it should of just been a retake. Oops.

Lesson learned.

The Referee Store
Correct. Not in play and retake. It doesnt happen often and nobody is perfect. Good for you for checking afterward. That is how we all get better. Unrecognized errors are always repeated. Cheers

running back up field it hit me that the ball isn't in play until it leaves the area so it probably wasn't actually an offence to play it twice but I wasn't sure....just re-read the laws and it should of just been a retake.

I did something similar yesterday. Gave an offside in the goal area, and the keeper passed it to the defender standing next to him, and he punted it. Went out for a throw in, realised I should have called it back and by that point, it was a bit late and as everyone was getting on with things, I decided to call myself an idiot and carried on. ;)

Back