A&H

Opposing GKs same colour

Mr Dean

RefChat Addict
Hello, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to refereeing so please forgive me if this is a daft question: Goalkeepers of opposing teams are wearing the same colour; at grassroots level, we just play the game, right?

The Referee Store
While not the preferred arrangement, according to the law this is allowable at any level. Law 4 states:
If the two goalkeepers’ shirts are the same colour and neither has another shirt, the referee allows the match to be played

Last edited:
Reactions: one
Depends on the regulations of your competition I suppose.

For example, the top two senior divisions where I am from states that GK's may not wear the same colour, as well as the same colour as the referee.

While not the preferred arrangement, according to the law this is allowable at any level. Law 4 states:

At grassroots it’s play on and let them get on with it, maybe accompanied by a joking “hoping your keepers won’t be going up for corners” with the teams.

Higher up the pyramid you can let them get on with it as a last resort but may have to make a report to the league in question.

Depends on the regulations of your competition I suppose.

For example, the top two senior divisions where I am from states that GK's may not wear the same colour, as well as the same colour as the referee.

laws of the game trump competition rules though. The same should still be played, the problem reported and the offending team may get a fine for breach of competition rules.

Back