A&H

Osasuna vs Real Madrid

The Referee Store
Red.

But... If I could turn it around a bit, let's say he did reckless challenge instead. Would you be tempted to go for two cautions? One for the original foul that advantage was played for, and one for this foul?

He's got away with it because his trailing leg rather than leading leg made the contact. If the leading leg had made contact there would be a very high chance of serious injury.
Yeah, you can definitely see why the referee's gone yellow, it's all down to the fact the dangerous leg didn't really make contact. But there's still that dangerous leg there, and the way he flies through the air to make the challenge looks awful, I'd be considering red based on that alone!

It is a caution. The player makes contact with his opponent's foot using his thigh. The speed of the challenge is higher than necessary, but the player is in control of his action through the whole tackle. Therefore, the player is putting the opponent in a dangerous position, but does not meet the threshold for endangering the safety of his opponent.

If contact was with the studs I would have said a definite red. The other thing that could change it from red to yellow is he was on the ground when contact was made. I'd go red but I am not going to argue too much about a yellow.

Yellow Card
I think the direction of travel of the defender makes it clear he's trying to block the pass.
That type of straight leg lunge staright into a player is a different story.

Back