A&H

Other Federation Courses

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
Is there any advantage is doing a federations referring course that you don’t belong to or would this just be a waste of time?
I’ll give an example.
SFA do two courses per year and are class room based. The Welsh FA have a beginner course that is only £20 and is online based. I know this would only let you referee junior games in Wales but for getting to know LOTG and all that, would it be worth it?

The Referee Store
I guess you'd have to look into how/if the SFA recognises referee qualifications.

For example, in Australia, courses are run by the state federations, but in accordance to a national guideline. Therefore, if let's say a referee was moving from Sydney to Canberra (two different state federations), you would just need to provide proof of qualifications, and that you're not suspended, etc etc.

What you would need to check is whether the course is recognised in the country you want to officiate in.

For example, if you live in England and did the FAW online course, would The FA recognise that, or would you still need to do a course under your CFA to officiate in England?

Would need to try find out if the SFA would accept it? Hopefully the SFA course isn’t too far away anyway
Edit : as I sent this, received an email with SFA starting dates.

Last edited:
I thought the OP was asking about value for learning, as opposed to certification. @Degnann if that is the question, you can save yourself the cost by spending the time reading the magic book cover to cover. And if you go through this forum, and look on YouTube, you can find a lot of free content out there. You can also search for referee practice tests, which will give you good food for thought, too. (Just be careful about old content, as there have been significant changes in the past few years.

I thought the OP was asking about value for learning, as opposed to certification. @Degnann if that is the question, you can save yourself the cost by spending the time reading the magic book cover to cover. And if you go through this forum, and look on YouTube, you can find a lot of free content out there. You can also search for referee practice tests, which will give you good food for thought, too. (Just be careful about old content, as there have been significant changes in the past few years.
sort of both in fairness. At least doing an official fa one would be up to date and set me up for my own fas course.

Back