A&H

Open Age Own goal celebration

Dan56

This happened in my game last week. Ladies Open Age game, one team were well behind in match when one of their players scored an own goal (not intentionally, attempted to clear but scored). I would guess that this player rarely scored, because after a moment's shock she let out a roar, took her shirt off and waved it around her head. I (along with both teams) found this very amusing.

My question is: should this lead to a yellow card? The Laws are quite specific, any player removing their shirt in a goal celebration MUST be cautioned. I did not not (though I did point out that technically I could have) and at my grassroots level I think this was wise. This is after all seems to me to be an example of the fun and good spirit that we want in the game. I just wondered what those of you who officiate at higher levels than me would have done in this unusual situation?

The Referee Store
I think you did the right thing. Grassroots football is about enjoying it. Nobody would benefit from a strict application of law in this case. (Other than the County FA.)

I think you’re fine in Law here not to caution. This play is clearly not what is intended by the drafters. (And even if it wasn’t fine in Law, I’d be fine with a laugh and a blind eye.)

Absolutely happy with what you’ve done (or not done!)

Empathy for the game is a huge thing and issuing a caution in the circumstances above would do you no favours and referees in general no favours!

93% in agreement with the above

lets just throw into the mix now exactly how sods law works
the other team go up park, score, top off...

You would prob need to hope for shouts from the losing team of, dont do it ref....

Not impossible she on a card, should be a second yellow, stsys on, and instead of being suspended, plays in the next round of the cup and scores the winner

Agree - correct decision. If I were being observed/assessed, I may have done differently, but it is a grey area and subjective.

Love grassroots for examples of this.

Last week I helped out with an under 10s development game — lad scored and took his shirt off. Jokey shouts from the parents about a YC. I didn’t card, just said don’t do that when you’re older or you will get one!

This is why I love the grassroots.

Don’t card for this. There’s probably an argument that technically it’s not a “celebration” so it doesn’t break law 12?

This happened in my game last week. Ladies Open Age game, one team were well behind in match when one of their players scored an own goal (not intentionally, attempted to clear but scored). I would guess that this player rarely scored, because after a moment's shock she let out a roar, took her shirt off and waved it around her head. I (along with both teams) found this very amusing.

My question is: should this lead to a yellow card? The Laws are quite specific, any player removing their shirt in a goal celebration MUST be cautioned. I did not not (though I did point out that technically I could have) and at my grassroots level I think this was wise. This is after all seems to me to be an example of the fun and good spirit that we want in the game. I just wondered what those of you who officiate at higher levels than me would have done in this unusual situation?
Would say that as it is grassroots and clearly a sarcastic celebration, you did the right thing.

Back