A&H

PARIS SG V MONTPELLIER

The Referee Store
I presume the yellow is for dissent following the conversation. If what you describe is true JamesL then the ref has invited the dissent by criticising Neymar.

The only thing I can think of is 'failing to respect the game' but don't think that this qualifies.
Taking the p**s out of the opposition is not something I would expect a ref to get involved in controlling.

I'd book him just for that hair colour though

Last edited:
Well the caution is clearly for dissent.
No idea what the ref has picked him up on.
Certainly not the ref's place to stop any showboating

what do folks make of this? Allegedly the referee told Neymar not to showboat?

On what basis does the referee have to tell a player how they should play the game, providing how they are playing the game is within the frameworks of the LOTG?
I suspect he has said something along the lines of 'carry on with that and the defenders are going to kick you off the park, causing me a headache', Neymar has snapped back and got a caution for dissent. Referee shouldn't be saying anything to Neymar that could upset him there though, he did nothing wrong before the dissent...

Already seen articles with: 'referee yellow cards neymar for showboating' etc, which clearly just aren't true.

What is it?

All I've seen about Neymar and a referee is something about the referee shouting at Neymar to speak French and Neymar telling him to "speak French my arse" for lack of a better translation.

This is most likely for dissent. To give more context and why the referee has to take action, there is priors between the defender and Neymar which extends to know social media spat (so I have read).

For me if you rainbow flick an opponent to get passed him, no issue whatsoever. If you do it to humiliate him, that is unsporting, I would certainly take action, more likely a stern warning only, if not a repeat. It is not unlike a choreographed goal celebration aimed at humiliating opponent's.

For those that can't see it as Facebook only brought the video. Bt sport reported the showboating bit...

I should have said in OP, the caution is clearly dissent, I was more interested on what peoples thoughts were on actually telling a player to not do tricks and flicks.

One of my go to phrases with disse ting players is "look, I won't tell you how to play football, please don't tell me how to referee the game". Not sure that would work here if the referee is telling him how to play the game. Seems undue interference

This is most likely for dissent. To give more context and why the referee has to take action, there is priors between the defender and Neymar which extends to know social media spat (so I have read).

For me if you rainbow flick an opponent to get passed him, no issue whatsoever. If you do it to humiliate him, that is unsporting, I would certainly take action, more likely a stern warning only, if not a repeat. It is not unlike a choreographed goal celebration aimed at humiliating opponent's.
Where do you draw the line. What if a player nutmeg a player to humiliate them? Chips it over and runs past them? Cruyff turn? Maradona turn? EL tornado?

What is it?

All I've seen about Neymar and a referee is something about the referee shouting at Neymar to speak French and Neymar telling him to "speak French my arse" for lack of a better translation.
He is shouting at the referee "I am playing football"

I suspect he has said something along the lines of 'carry on with that and the defenders are going to kick you off the park, causing me a headache', Neymar has snapped back and got a caution for dissent. Referee shouldn't be saying anything to Neymar that could upset him there though, he did nothing wrong before the dissent...

Already seen articles with: 'referee yellow cards neymar for showboating' etc, which clearly just aren't true.
That would be reasonable. But I think you could do that in a friendlier way, referee appears quite stern in the way he is delivering his message I feel so if he Was saying that he definitely could have approached it better and had a better outcome.

Maybe he just wanted to caution him for that hair 😬

Reactions: JH
Where do you draw the line. What if a player nutmeg a player to humiliate them? Chips it over and runs past them? Cruyff turn? Maradona turn? EL tornado?
I draw the like at intent to humiliate (it must be clear to me). I don't care about what move you use to do it. I can give examples if you like.

I draw the like at intent to humiliate (it must be clear to me). I don't care about what move you use to do it. I can give examples if you like.
I am interested. I get if there was anything verbal in there, but if somebody uses football skill then I don't see how or where we can become involved. All tricks and skills are used and intended to humiliate the opponent really. Think how often Ronaldo used to humiliate his opponents with his tricks. You'd intervene there?

Reactions: Kes
Ok, striker one on one running at keeper with all defenders given up 25 yards away. Striker rainbow flicks keeper and on the way to tap in. So far so good for me. Now he stops ball just before the line and jesturs to the given up keeper to come and get it. As the keeper runs in to dive on it, striker flicks it over the keeper (back in to play, not into goal). This is where I stop play and caution. No warning.

Not that I do it for these reasons but think about what football expects and the consequence of what would happen to that player later in the game (if not abandoned that is) if you don't take action.

Ok, striker one on one running at keeper with all defenders given up 25 yards away. Striker rainbow flicks keeper and on the way to tap in. So far so good for me. Now he stops ball just before the line and jesturs to the given up keeper to come and get it. As the keeper runs in to dive on it, striker flicks it over the keeper (back in to play, not into goal). This is where I stop play and caution. No warning.

Not that I do it for these reasons but think about what football expects and the consequence of what would happen to that player later in the game (if not abandoned that is) if you don't take action.
Football does not expect you to take any action here...
Football expects you to take action if any player reacts to it, immediately, or in game, but not against the skilful player, against the reactor.

As much as it would be a godsend in dealing with a significant number of problem players, "Don't be a 🦆" is not in LOTG.

As much as it would be a godsend in dealing with a significant number of problem players, "Don't be a 🦆" is not in LOTG.
I don't think we are going to agree on this. Yes it is. Multiple places and multiple examples. I just made one example on goal celebration. Read the philosophy section and the one after it. It all falls under USB. There are also some that are more specific for lack of respect for the game.

I don't think we are going to agree on this. Yes it is. Multiple places and multiple examples. I just made one example on goal celebration. Read the philosophy section and the one after it. It all falls under USB. There are also some that are more specific for lack of respect for the game.
It is rarely that I disagree with you on many subjects, and your knowledge of the laws, generally, is impressive.
But, I have just read those sections and still can't see how you could find an offence in the scenario described.
So long as a player plays within the framework of the laws there is little you can do to stop them but pray they **** it up and end up with egg on their face.

Back