• IDFK + Caution

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Penalty

• Play on

• Total voters

drahc

L3 Referee. EFL Assistant. Tutor. Observer. Coach.
Level 3 Referee
Observer/Tutor
This happened to me yesterday, feel free to discuss:

Red defender is on the goal-line and deliberately back-heels the ball to his goalkeeper, who is standing in front of him, on the 6 yard line.

What would you have done?

The Referee Store
Deliberate pass back - idfk

Surely that is all there is to this one. It couldn't be an OGSO as the defender cleared it. As long as you're happy it's deliberate, thank you and goodnight! :)

That is what I gave - much to the upset of the defending team. "Ref, it can't be a pass back, I passed it forward!", and this this wasn't the general, try and get out of it - it was genuine. One conversation with the offending player and the captain is all I gave, and actually, the incident was really good for my match control. A good chance to stamp down my authority.

So that was one lesson in the laws given. I then gave another one to a player later on, who said I could not caution him for adopting an aggressive attitude...

I like what he has done there! LOTG make no mention of pass back though, only deliberately kicked to him by team mate.

10/10 for trying!

unusual scenario

Which was 'the offending player' that you spoke to ?

a player later on, who said I could not caution him for adopting an aggressive attitude...

Had a 16 year old sneering at me yesterday for giving a free kick to the opposition for an attempted trip.

.... the list is endless

Last edited by a moderator:
unusual scenario

Agreed, I'd have been tempted to speak to both defender and goalie, both equally at fault.

Though this thread has made me realise that I'm part of the problem when I shout out 'You can pick it up, not a back pass' on relevant occasions :oops:.. will need to think of a suitable alternative!!

Though this thread has made me realise that I'm part of the problem when I shout out 'You can pick it up, not a back pass' on relevant occasions :oops:.. will need to think of a suitable alternative!!

'Not deliberate' is a quick and easy way of saying the same thing whilst staying within the spirit of the law.

unusual scenario

The goalkeeper remained quite and got on with it, the player who did the pass was the one who 'spoke up' - so it was him and the captain that I spoke to.

Did he deliberately back heel the ball to the keeper? Or did he deliberately back heel the ball and it happened to fall to the keeper? Given my interpretation of the law, both would be met with different outcomes.

Did he deliberately back heel the ball to the keeper? Or did he deliberately back heel the ball and it happened to fall to the keeper? Given my interpretation of the law, both would be met with different outcomes.

I quote my original post: deliberately back-heels the ball to his goalkeeper

Back