A&H

Pass-backs

Hard to tell from your phrasing if you deem playing off the shin or knee a back-pass but the latest IFAB circular clarifies playing off the shin or knee is not considered a kick and hence not a back-pass.
I agree with the rest of your post though. In fact it resembles my post #3 ;)

100% not a pass back from shin / knee thigh etc. Apologies if not clear.

In my opinion (and sounds like in yours), the more proactive you can be the better, that way you are seen as aware of what's happening in the game, decisions don't come as a surprise to anyone on the park, which makes retaining match control so much easier.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
I tend to stay quiet. That probably isn’t a popular opinion but I do that to avoid any confusion with what I’m shouting. I’m at the opinion that I can work out if it’s a pass back, the keeper should be able to as well and if they have have any doubts, they should be putting their foot through it rather than asking me

100% not a pass back from shin / knee thigh etc. Apologies if not clear.

The exception of this of course is if a player uses their feet to juggle the ball up, then shins/knees it back to the keeper. This is an offense.

i think the opinion of most folk on here and certainly any top ref I have ever known is, stop small flames before they become a fire.
The referee, like the coach, is part of the game and, imo, should have a feeling for the game.
Being proactive is a desirable skill of a good official.
Applying the lotg is one thing. Refereeing a game is something totally different

Last edited:
The exception of this of course is if a player uses their feet to juggle the ball up, then shins/knees it back to the keeper. This is an offense.
Well that is not really an exception ;). Its and offence but a completely different offence. The 'pass back' offence is committed by the keeper. The one you mentioned is committed by a team mate of the keeper. Restarts are also from different places.

Back