A&H

penalties

Vail_Sibanda

Am a referee from one of the lowest divisions in Zambia, today I was given to officiate the cup game quarter final between kawama Vs Raiders of Luano District and the game was 1 all draw at FT. During the shootout/penalties, the first five kicks the game was still at 3:3. Now the sixth takers, first one missed second one the goalkeeper encroached and I punished the keeper and gave a retake. by so doing the other team opted to leave the field of play and left before a retake. I had no option but to allow a kick be taken without a goalkeeper. And ended Raiders 4:3 kawama. Please help what would have been the correct decision

The Referee Store
To be honest, I'm not sure what you could have done really.

I guess, maybe you could speak to their manager and ask them to come back onto the field, but if they've made it clear they are refusing to play then there's nothing more you can do, and the match should be abandoned at that point. A report to the competition authority and your FA would be prudent, as they will want to investigate and punish the team for bringing the game into disrepute.

Hopefully one of the veterans on here will have more insight.

This. ^^^^

The procedure for a penalty kick (which also applies at KFTPM, unless stated otherwise) requires that:
The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked.

So if there's no defending goalkeeper, the kick can't be taken.

Had something similar but not at kftpm but in kftpm ended up abandoning the match....

This. ^^^^

The procedure for a penalty kick (which also applies at KFTPM, unless stated otherwise) requires that:

So if there's no defending goalkeeper, the kick can't be taken.
You can apply this for OP but it's even more basic/fundamental than that.

First thing in law 3:
"A match is played by two teams, each with a maximum of eleven players; one must be the goalkeeper."

And Law 10.3:
"Kicks from the penalty mark
Kicks from the penalty mark are taken after the match has ended and unless otherwise stated, the relevant Laws of the Game apply."

So if only the designated goalkeeper from one team leaves, they can't even take a kick during KFTPM despite having a kicker and an opponent goalkeeper on the line.

Last edited:
I sent a GK off once as we lined up for a penalty. I placed it on the spot on he came a moved it backwards in an aggressive way. I replaced it in the same position and he called me an expletive... bye bye, new GK please?

Back