A&H

Penalty and red card?

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
So I was refereeing an adults quarter final an I gave a penalty the player was one on one with gk and defender tackles him from behind not getting a touch on the ball. I give him a red.

After the game the coach asked me what i sent him off for I replied for a dogso he immediately replied well you can't give a pen AND red card for dogso so you are wrong I law we will be appealing and get it overturned

Was i wrong in law for giving the pen and a red card?

The Referee Store
Coaches think they know it all, when in fact they know less than nothing
My advice to you would be submit your report and let your CFA deal with anything that comes out of the game. Another thing Be 100% certain that the decision you made, after having 1 look at it, was correct :)

Don't see the issue in writing it down as "DOSGO via penalty, no genuine attempt to play the ball" on the report though...

1) There are no reports anymore (except for exceptional stuff)
2) There is a clause in the DOGSO Law to avoid the double whammy of penalty & red card, which applies only when the defender 'attempts to play the ball'. The Law does not reference 'tackle from behind or any other criteria' and the player should be dismissed in all other circumstances
In your case @JoeMaloney5 , it depends if it was a deliberate trip or a foul with no attempt to play the ball

1) There are no reports anymore (except for exceptional stuff)
2) There is a clause in the DOGSO Law to avoid the double whammy of penalty & red card, which applies only when the defender 'attempts to play the ball'. The Law does not reference 'tackle from behind or any other criteria' and the player should be dismissed in all other circumstances
In your case @JoeMaloney5 , it depends if it was a deliberate trip or a foul with no attempt to play the ball

Reports for reds in non senior football here.

Sounds like a good decision as long as your thinking was 1) dogso (pen and a card) 2) what colour depends on whether you think there was a genuine attempt for the ball - unlikely from behind.

The managers appeal will fail (although 50% likely they’ll even bother) and he’ll learn something about the laws of the game.

Sounds like a good decision as long as your thinking was 1) dogso (pen and a card) 2) what colour depends on whether you think there was a genuine attempt for the ball - unlikely from behind.

The managers appeal will fail (although 50% likely they’ll even bother) and he’ll learn something about the laws of the game.
I understand the word 'genuine' was removed from the wording quite recently

I understand the word 'genuine' was removed from the wording quite recently

You seem to be right - kind of redundant anyway and I guess it was removed so we don’t have to guess between a genuine attempt and an attempt :)

Sounds like you didn’t have a clue about the law change, if you did then you might have known where the manager was coming from.

Unless there's not the slightest bit of doubt that the defender didn't attempt to get the ball it's a yellow for me. Fair play to the coach for knowing, most coaches/players still expect a red and don't know that the law was changed

Back