A&H

Penalty mark size

Scotty Ref

On Saturday I encountered this oversized penalty mark. The front of the mark was about 11 yards from goal and the back 13 yards

All the law requires is that the ball is placed on the mark, anyone allowing the kicker to place the ball along any point on this mark?

Incidentally two pens were awarded in this match and players both put the ball in the centre of the cross.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
The Referee Store
So the centre of the cross was 12 yards, perfect, and as you rightly say, both teams took one from the centre, ideal

I would even say you can class the penalty mark as being 12 yards from the goal line, as the Steel Miester would no doubt say..."play on"

Slight digression, on Sunday I awarded a dfk on the edge of the D.

“It’ll be on the whistle, and I’ll get them back ten for you” I say, and begin pacing out the distance.

Halfway there, I realised I didn’t need to be counting any steps - the penalty spot would be 10 yards from the edge of the D, so that’s were I told the wall to line up.

Simple!

“It’ll be on the whistle, and I’ll get them back ten for you” I say, and begin pacing out the distance.

Halfway there, I realised I didn’t need to be counting any steps - the penalty spot would be 10 yards from the edge of the D, so that’s were I told the wall to line up.

Simple!
It's surprising the number of players who moan when you do this - If the ball is a yard away from the D I line them up a yard from the penalty mark etc. Somebody will always say " but you haven't paced it out! That's way more than 10 yards!"

I had a pitch the other week where the penalty mark was slightly off-centre. I had the player take it level with the spot, but to the left of it. Would anyone have just put it on the wonky spot?

I had a pitch the other week where the penalty mark was slightly off-centre. I had the player take it level with the spot, but to the left of it. Would anyone have just put it on the wonky spot?
Yeh, minuscule difference really. It’s called grass roots for a reason😐

Simple!
Why o why? this was a perfect chance to re-calibrate your steps for the 10 yard measurement. Opportunity missed. :)

anyone allowing the kicker to place the ball along any point on this mark?
Would anyone have just put it on the wonky spot?
Not me. I would have an imaginary circle the size of the ball on the right spot. The ball can be places anywhere as long as any part of the ball projects anywhere on top of that imaginary circle. On badly distorted/damaged spots, I might allow slight flexibility to either side.

On Saturday I encountered this oversized penalty mark. The front of the mark was about 11 yards from goal and the back 13 yards

All the law requires is that the ball is placed on the mark, anyone allowing the kicker to place the ball along any point on this mark?

Incidentally two pens were awarded in this match and players both put the ball in the centre of the cross.

Not withstanding the X on the field, I would consider the "mark" to be where they meet, not the whole X.

On marking 10 yards, I never take 10 steps. Somewhere along the line I picked up the advice that it isn't hard to tell what 10 yards is and just move there--I'm pretty confident I'm as accurate as most refs that I see taking paces. And it's a lot faster and it's easier to keep an eye on the ball so that he attacking team doesn't try to move it.

Why o why? this was a perfect chance to re-calibrate your steps for the 10 yard measurement. Opportunity missed/
No, I did exactly this. I didn’t stop counting out the steps, but as I said in my post, I realised about 5 steps in, so just made sure my “count” finished at the penalty spot

Reactions: one
Used to do that at the start of every half.........invariably eleven places..........that was always fun if anyone ever actually counted them........"one for luck'' I'd often reply.

Back