A&H

Penalty shootout advice

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I’ve pretty much conquered all my biggest refereeing anxieties these last few months; my first red and yellow cards, assistant referee appointments, games in front of paying crowds, the list goes on. My biggest remaining worries are forgetting equipment (I still have stress dreams about forgetting my boots...) and penalty shootouts. I have a quarter final in a league cup on Saturday and I'm really nervous about it going to a shootout. I've looked at the results of the league and almost every single game has been 4-3 (I'm genuinely not exaggerating) so a draw is likely. How can I make myself not look a total tool and forget when a team has won on pens. Also, what other advice can I get for shootouts? For any context, it's an U16 game (my oldest age so far, previously I've done up to 15s where I've shown 4 yellows and a red in two games, although they were all pretty obvious and not through me losing control) and I'll be using my Apple Watch with REFSIX Pro for the first time and don't know if that could help me out?

I know it's silly but I don't want to mess up the score and kowing when to end the game in a shootout...

EDIT: I like to check league stats before my game to get a feel for what the game may be like (unfortunately they're hidden in this league). I noticed a 'blue cards' tab and have no idea what this is. I've never been told about blue cards at all. Is it a behaviour reward thing or what? I've asked my appointment officer but they're yet to reply.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Blank paper/blank notecard/scorecard

as after they take their pk, simply note the number of the kicker and put a tick or x
then when other team take theirs do same at other side of the pad/paper

Or you can ask player to turn round so you get their number as they approach the 18 if you think thats easier.

Key thing is, slow down. there is no rush. Make sure you have clear as day in book who has taken one and what the score is.

Blank paper/blank notecard/scorecard

as after they take their pk, simply note the number of the kicker and put a tick or x

Or you can ask player to turn round so you get their number as they approach the 18 if you think thats easier.

Key thing is, slow down. there is no rush. Make sure you have clear as day in book who has taken one and what the score is.
Cheers. Is there a maybe an example of how someone's paper might look like? I'm thinking about doing it today and having it ready for Saturday.

Well if your using a old skool notepad and black book, just use a new sheet

Me, I use match score cards, so for pks I will flip it over and simply use the space, which even after a game with 5/6/7 cautions, has always worked for me.

Guy walks to take first pk. As he approaches 18, say "number please pal", he turns round, you simply note down 6, then put a tick or x.

Of course someone will have better suggestions but thats mine and its never let me down.

One thing I dont do and have seen done and it went pear shaped, was, at taking of whatever kick, one team scored, danced about and cheered and ran about, as you do when a team wins a shoot out, ref, with whistle gave the kinda, full time whistle blast....

expect on reflection there was still another kick to go, he got their eventually but I never whistle at the end....

I only give a whistle to say to , yes, ready to take the pk

oh and to make things even more difficult, at your age level, it will be rolling subs..so keep a careful sub note of who is on/off !!

One thing I dont do and have seen done and it went pear shaped, was, at taking of whatever kick, one team scored, danced about and cheered and ran about, as you do when a team wins a shoot out, ref, with whistle gave the kinda, full time whistle blast....

expect on reflection there was still another kick to go, he got their eventually but I never whistle at the end....

I only give a whistle to say to , yes, ready to take the pk
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm worried about tbh. Really hoping it doesn't go to pens, but I have to learn at some point

I sympathise with anyone esp working alone who has to control a pen shoot out in a game with rolling subs

Not a cop out, but, am sure plenty refs have "got away with it", with a player taking a pk who should not have......as ever though, we do not want to be the one caught out !!

I sympathise with anyone esp working alone who has to control a pen shoot out in a game with rolling subs

Not a cop out, but, am sure plenty refs have "got away with it", with a player taking a pk who should not have......as ever though, we do not want to be the one caught out !!
Any idea about the blue cards I mentioned?

Sorry no....not anything I have heard of. A England based colleague or the league sec itself might be more useful!

Always do the latter. Never do the former as you may miss the same player taking two kicks before everyone has taken one.

I thought blue cards were just related to indoor football - they were meant to be lower than a caution if I remember correctly?

Tell both managers that for PK's you only want the 11 players that finished the game in the centre circle. Then get the note of the number as @Ciley Myrus said. Read the LOTG so you know what to do if you end up with an uneven number of players or any of the other potential scenarios that could trip you up. Also make sure you know the competition rules as to whether you need to play extra time or not.

Make sure all kicks are taken on the whistle.

There will be lots of time to make sure you keep track of the score especially as it gets to the business end of the shoot out as the players have to walk from the centre circle.

Check and double check competiton rules and make sure you know if its straight to pens or extra time first.

I have two county cup matches coming up - 1st one is (senior) youth tomorrow night , that is extra time + pens and 3 from 5 subs.

The o/a one is on Sunday but that is straight to pens and 5/5 roll on/roll off subs.

I’ve done a couple of shoot outs.
I use my match card at the bottom of the page.
Number of play and tick or cross. Really simple and easy to work out the score, who wins etc.
With regards to rolling subs: I tell the teams that if it’s looking like pens I expect all subs in jumpers and a bit further back from the touch line towards fill time and then I monitor it once I blow full time.
I’ve not had to dismiss yet, but I also tell them that if someone on the other team is given a red, they’ll need to reduce their pool of takers accordingly.
I’ve not encountered any issues so far

I've been asked numerous times how do you know when to end the KFTPM early? There is no simple formula e.g. it could end 3-0, 4-1, 4-2... You just need to do a bit of simple maths.

There has to be a minimum of six kicks. On the sixth kick (or kicks after) I ask myself a question: can the kick win or lose the game? If the winning team is ahead by more goals than the other team has kicks left, the game is over.

Last edited:
Me, I use match score cards, so for pks I will flip it over and simply use the space, which even after a game with 5/6/7 cautions, has always worked for me.

My match card has a penalty kick sheet on the back going all the way down to 11 kicks...

Plenty of white space to carry onto though, but never gone beyond 11 kicks yet! Pretty handy. :)

Back