A&H

Penalty shootout advice

Tick or X... well.,,
In the country I live in, when someone fills a form, they use crosses instead of ticks. Cross means yes, blank means no.
In my first penalty shoot out I just totally span out after a couple of crosses and then got really worried I had lost the count.
Ever since I use Y / N !

The Referee Store
I've done KFTM in several tournaments. Will you have AR's? I find it helps to have the rules of completion printed out and with me. It is nice to have two extra copies to give the coaches prior to start. At least review them when you do the meet and greet before hand. It helps eliminate confusion later as we all discussed it earlier. "Good to meet you coach.... blah blah blah. Just to make sure we are all on the same page. If we get that far, it will be two 15's, no golden goal, the kftm (or whatever the rules of comp say). Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck coach"
We revisit it prior to the extra time coin toss (or rock paper scissors :) ) and add in that if we are still tied at the end only players on the field at the final whistle will be eligible. We talk ahead as a referee crew. AR1 covers the touchline making sure there are no sneaky on/off switches at the final whistle. After they drink, move them away from the touchline to the circle. while you do the kftm coin toss. If you have a crew of 3, one ar stays at midfield and backs you up on recording. The other AR manages the keepers and judges goals/keepers leaving early (be clear what you consider early and how you want them to signal).

I flip my score sheet over to the blank side and note shooter's number as they walk in. I hand them the ball, ensure it is placed on the mark, look to see my goal line AR is ready, then wait for GK to nod head or something to let me know they are ready then blow the whistle. I watch the shooter for an offence (failing to kick the ball once the run up has been completed) and trust my AR to watch the GK (but still try to watch both). After a save, look to the AR to verify a good save then proceed (no need to signal. Everyone saw the save/miss).

KNOW THE LOTG! I had a coach lose his mind over a shooters crazy hesitation run up BUT he did not feint once he had reached the ball.

Posters above are very right. Simply flip to blank side of paper, write shooter numbers as they approach but before they shoot, they tic or x afterward. My very first go with KFTM had the crazy run up AND I doubted myself on the count during the kicks. After one shot, while the keepers were switching and next shooter was doing the lonely walk, I went over to the goal line AR and verified that he had same score I did.

I'm afraid I'm not much help being lone referee for kftm but would say key points

Watch the touchline... no subs on or off. Let them have drinks over then send them into the field. Depending on the comp, letting a coach onto the field for a moment to figure out shooters is ok but then shoo him off and do the coin toss. Keep track of who has shot (no need to know order) and the score.

Other thing to watch for.... GK off his line handing ball to shooter or trying to get close to him. Head that off. Take the ball from the gK and/or tell him to head to his line

Have fun

Very good summary above. Something I do different is goalkeeper encroachment is mine in KFTPM. Ball in/out is AR's.

Also in addition, at grassroots and junior games only, if I think a stoppage is the last one before shootout, I give the teams a chance for substitutions. If I am close to TAs, "Anyone wants to sub guys?", if I'm not close AR1 does it for me after eye contact. Avoids headaches later.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I’m on my own and I’m still waiting for my appointment officer to tell me the competition rules...

They are usually available online if you look hard enough
I’ve been trying but just can’t find anything, the appointment officer just said she’s going to email all officials the competition rules tomorrow though

Blue cards could be sin bin...but as others have said that will be in competition rules. Many counties and leagues (including mine) are starting sin bin trials in cups in anticipation of it being mandatory next year.

Back