A&H

Penalty to Inter in Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthebrink

Any views on the incident on Monday?

A penalty was given to Inter for a foul but referee then alerted by VAR that the ball hit hand of attacker in build-up so penalty decision overturned after referee viewed monitor and defensive free-kick given instead.

Was this correct? If we take the handling to be accidental then we go on to the accidental attacking handball clause that creates a goal scoring opportunity, but did this really do that?

Some might argue that a penalty is the goal-scoring opportunity but I'd argue the foul created that rather than the attacking handball. I remember Manchester united got a penalty after an accidental handball earlier in the season against Leicester and it was said no goal-scoring opportunity had been immediately created.

Here's the incident at about 5.10 here -

The Referee Store
The vid is blocked for me but VAR can review all goals and penalty incidents and if there was an attacking offence in the buildup, the referee can give a free kick for the offence. Accidental handball clause is not the only option here.

It was officially designated as a handball by the VAR system caption. The referee also indicated as such by holding up a bent right arm while tapping it with his left hand. I have to say it looked like an accidental handball to me - for me, the player, who had fallen face down on the turf, was trying to get up when the ball was kicked against his arm (which was underneath his body) by a team mate.

IMG_20200813_125710.png

Last edited:
I can loosely say the handball creates a goal scoring opportunity.
If we look at the 4 criteria for and Obvious goal scoring opportunity, as it doesn't need to be obvious the strength of each I guess doesn't need to be high.
Direction, the handball actually puts the ball more in the direction of the goal
Distance to goal, very close,
Control he is definitely regaining control of the ball
Location and number of defenders, there are quite a few but he is getting past them at the point of the foul
Now I am not saying this is a DOGSO but I can certainly see why the referee has decided the handball has immediately created a goal scoring opportunity.
You'd probably never give it real time but with the benefit of having VAR to look again I can see why he arrived at the decision.

This is another one of those not well defined concepts. Some examples are obvious--but where in the gray the line is supposed to be is quite unclear. This seems to be reducing analysis to a simple temporal concept instead of a cauasal one-- accidental handling that precedes a goal negates it.

Good luck with this one.

I think its handball as the direction of the ball puts it right into the attackers path, if it doesn't touch his arm then its going away from goal and the defender is probably favourite to get the loose ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back