A&H

Player entering the FOP without permission

a player re-enters the field of play without the referee’s permission, the referee must:

• stop play (although not immediately if the player does not interfere with play or if the advantage can be applied)

• caution the player for entering the field of play without permission

• order the player to leave the field of play if necessary (e.g. infringement of Law 4)

This one for me is very grey area. I see what you are saying, but once a player comes on the field of play he has committed an offence. He is not a legal player on the fop and he then runs over and stops a goal.

He has committed an offence which has resulted in a goal scoring opportunity being denied.

for those saying double yellow, it can't be as you are also saying that kicking the ball away is not an offence so you either dogso or just go with the initial caution for rentering the fop without permission.

The candidates:

Dogso

Caution for rentering play and a corner (plus a misconduct report on what happened I would imagine)

How about: abandoning the match?

Given the nature of this sort of incident, if it is anything but a nothing at stake game, it is going to kick off once this happens. A mass confrontation is on the cards.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Except... that he is a legal player. He's not a substitute or substituted player.

He's merely a player that entered the field of play without permission.

It's the same scenario (but with a minor twist) as the following:

Player A is a GK and changes places with Player B. The referee is not informed. The opposing team gets the ball, shoots it on goal. Player B catches the ball with his hands, throws the ball upfield to Player A. Player A scores a goal on the opposing team.

What do you do?

The answer in this case? Goal is valid. So, restart with a kick-off. But before doing so, caution Player A and Player B for changing places without informing you. Player B handling the ball is not an offense, because he is now the GK.

In the case above, the injured player is still a PLAYER, so his kicking the ball away is a legal play. The circumstances that led to it are illegal, but the play itself? Still legal. Caution for entering the FOP, IFK from entry point.

He is not a legal player while he is off the fop - he is not allowed back on the pitch without permission.

Not the best example given by you as The LOTG make allowance for a player changing places with gk without permission explicitly - Play continues until the ball goes out of play.

If a player off the field comes back on without permission the referee must stop play (although not immediately etc... See above)

Last edited:
Again though, a player kicking the ball is not an offense.

In the case of the player entering the field of play without permission, the offense is entering the FOP. Not kicking the ball. Situations laid out in the LotG and the I&G tend to be done so in such a way that they can show how the Law applies not just there, but elsewhere too.

The crux of this is "the player makes a legal play", albeit gets there illegally. So here, once the player interferes, you stop play, caution, IFK from point of entry... as that's the offense.

But his illegal interference then denies a goal (not even an obvious goal scoring opportunity).

You cannot make a legal play if you're not a legal player.

I think we have reached an impasse. Let's just not keep saying the same things back and forth to each other

But his illegal interference then denies a goal (not even an obvious goal scoring opportunity).

You cannot make a legal play if you're not a legal player.

I see the point that SM is making but I think that the info that bester mentioned from the old Q&A is definitely relevant. Although it referred to a substitute I see no reason that it shouldn't apply to a player re-entering without permission as well.

The procedure laid out in the LOTG for dealing with both subs and illegal re-enterees is almost identical and I would think that having an extra player on the pitch would be a much more serious breach than just having a player come back on without the ref's permission yet the Q&A stated that the sub who save the goal with his foot gets a caution for re-entering and an IDFK against him and the one who uses a hand is sent off for DOGSO.

Why would it be different for an injured player re-entering? Neither are legal players...

Last edited:
Could we just say you can play the ball illegally without committing an offence? Think of it as when a team uses an ineligible player. That should solve your problem @SM :D :p

@AlexF I like the example you used and it serves the purpose on what you used it for but it is a dangerous one to use. A player entering without permission is an 'extra person' as defined by the LOGT. While in your example the goal stands, if the injured player scores a goal it would not stand. Furthermore even if a team mate of the 'extra person' scores a goal, it would not stand.

Back