A&H

Junior/Youth Player refuses to give a name when being cautioned

Peach

Level 4 Referee
Title gives it away, but wanted it to be an easy title to search for in the future for people (as I just have).

Scenario: In a youth U15's game, a player commits a reckless tackle and is being issued with a caution. When asked his name, he say's 'can't remember', and again when asked.

What are you going to give/do as the ref?

A friend had this recently and has caused some debate; I have searched the forum and there is part of a discussion on it elsewhere, but I wanted a more up to date thread now Sin Bins are in place in some locations.

So far between four of us, we have had various answers - YC for tackle and Sin Bin YC for Dissent, YC for tackle and YC (then RC) for Unsporting Behaviour (Unspecified), YC and speak to Captain/Manager to get name with player, YC for tackle and report 'Cant Remember' for name... Interested to hear everyone's opinion.

I first thought YC tackle then YC for USB (U), but after thinking, I'd YC tackle, write name and get on with it, looking for any excuse to YC again!

The Referee Store
Where I am I don't need names. Shirt number is enough.
But I'd bin him for dissent if he doesn't give me the name in your case. But first I would try to take some sense into him nicely or use the captain to explain what my next decision(s) would be if I don't get the name.
If he is in that mood he is unlikely to leave for the bin which could lead to abandonment.
If you just take 'can't remember' for the name, you have lost that battle and the player has one on you. The battle of authority is one you can't lose. You can compromise (eg get the name from captain) but you can't lose it.

I'd do exactly as you concluded James. ;)

And yes, I'd definitely find something. :D

Another option would be to explain to him that since he was unable to even remember his own name, you had no option (in pursuit of player safety) other than to assume that he must be suffering from some form of concussion or suchlike and insist that he be subbed and take no further part in the match ... ;)

Sin bin for dissent may or may not be the 100% correct answer under the current laws....but it's probably going to be the most effective threat to make to the captain!

Give him a second chance to change his mind (as your friend did) and if that doesn't work, get the captain in and explain that you're currently planning on a yellow for the tackle and a sin bin for the dissent in refusing to give a name. You have to be prepared to follow through if necessary, but I would be very surprised if the captain doesn't just immediately tell you the players name.

In the past I’ve gone with obtaining a name from captain/manager. Then report the failure to give the name as an extraordinary incident.

Here in England failing to give a name, or giving a false name is a separate offence carrying its own punishment.

In the past I’ve gone with obtaining a name from captain/manager. Then report the failure to give the name as an extraordinary incident.

Here in England failing to give a name, or giving a false name is a separate offence carrying its own punishment.
That's broadly the same practice followed in my area of Scotland. It's never happened to me but the general advice is not to make too big about the failure to give a name. Deal with the original infringement as appropriate and get as much information as you can about players ID - shirt number, captain or coaches comments etc - then follow up with a separate report. Leagues and associations usually take a dim view of players refusing to give names or giving obviously incorrect names.

That's broadly the same practice followed in my area of Scotland. It's never happened to me but the general advice is not to make too big about the failure to give a name. Deal with the original infringement as appropriate and get as much information as you can about players ID - shirt number, captain or coaches comments etc - then follow up with a separate report. Leagues and associations usually take a dim view of players refusing to give names or giving obviously incorrect names.
What area you in?

we don’t need names where I am.
Names and numbers are on team sheet.
Get the number and move in. I am in a habit of asking for names as its easier to see on refsix.

In England the procedure is to isolate the offender take name and number, advise reason for caution and show card.
If this were to happen to me, I would calmly advise that failure to give the name will result in the caution being administered anyway, but with an extra report to county FA. I'll ask one more time and if still no added to that will be a dissent caution and ten min sit down at which point then he will be on this thinnest of ice when he returns from. Said sit down.

What area you in?

we don’t need names where I am.
Names and numbers are on team sheet.
Get the number and move in. I am in a habit of asking for names as its easier to see on refsix.
I'm in Scotland where, in my area at least, we're encouraged to take name and number.

just be careful, most associations still advise that you should still get both name and number as you can’t always rely on team sheets to be correct.
It was my association that told me only need a number

It was my association that told me only need a number
Surprised with that advice as in the lower echelons where a player coming off and giving the sub their shirt isn’t too uncommon.

Short numbers not matching the shirt is another pain in the arse!

Surprised with that advice as in the lower echelons where a player coming off and giving the sub their shirt isn’t too uncommon.

Understandable if that were the case. Yet to have a game where players haven’t had their own shirt.

i do only do youth games in fairness

That is not allowed in any comps I referee in. It is clear in comp rules. The only common sense exception I'd allow is if the keeper gets injured and a field player/sub has to go in goal and they have to swap shirts. In that case the time and shirt numbers which swamped go in my match card.

I refereed in a strict futsal comp which even that excpection was specifically not allowed. Any player who wanted to play in the middle and be a keeper had to have two shirts with the same number.

We don't need name either, but I would just caution him a second time for dissent and send him off. I don't have time for *****s.

I'd do exactly as you concluded James. ;)

And yes, I'd definitely find something. :D

Just reading back through this and noticed you used my actual name, didn't notice that! I didn't realise who you were until just now, hope you are well sir.

Reactions: Kes
Back